Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Support feedback please...

Looking for end user feedback on SOPHOS support. We are considering a SOPHOS UTM 220 with 3 year support. Currently we have cisco and their support is great. They go so far as to remote in to our systems and assist hands on with our issue showing us step by step whats wrong and advising on how to fix our problem. 

I'm curious if SOPHOS offers this same support level to its customers. I've had experiences with HP where they verbally point you to a PDF on a website and the support ends there. 

I post the question here in hopes to have a few customers respond back with good or bad experiences so I know truthfully what I'm getting into. 

All comments are greatly appreciated.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Moss,

Sophos offers two levels of support for the UTM.

The base/Gold level, included with all subscriptions, requires you to contact your Sophos partner and if they can't figure out the problem, they can escalate to Sophos who will address the problem, up to and including remoting into your box if required.

Premium/Platinum support, offered as a separate purchase, gives you direct 24/7 access to Sophos UTM support if there is a problem.

There are a few other differences between the two levels so hopefully one of the more experienced partners will jump in with the rest. I'm still just figuring out the ropes as a partner so don't know everything yet. [;)]
  • One thing you can do is to start with standard support.  If you find that this doesn't work for you, upgrade to Premium can always be purchased down the road.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • ive only dealt with them once and i was pretty happy. they ran through an obvious flowchart but when that didn't work he remoted into my computer found the problem and jumped back out.

very fast and it worked
  • I think "Platinum" is very inexpensive for 24x7 access to support - but don't think that that will mean support is working on your problem 24x7.

I've spent days waiting to hear anything back after an escalation - calling daily sometimes for a status update which often was "it has been escalated" then spotty responses after work appeared to begin.  (These woes relate to the webproxy.)

I won't pretend I'm the ideal customer or that support is ideal.  So far we've been able to suffer through it.
  • I think it depends on your reseller, their level of knowledge and their committment to support.

In the past, I recommended Premium to customers with an Astaro that had no Hot-Standby so that they could get advance replacement.  As Astaro evolved and Sophos took over, Premium is no longer needed for that.

We no longer recommend Premium for our customers, and none have requested renewal of Premium support in almost three years.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I came to Sophos after being a reseller for a few years of the Astaro Security Gateway, specifically so I could support the exceptional ASG/UTM. Now that I have seen first-hand how the support process works, the exceptional support staff who are individually motivated to provide the best support possible, often based on first-hand knowledge of the device (most run the UTM on their own networks), I cannot say enough positive things about Sophos Support. I also hear this from customers almost every day who have come to Sophos after being disapointed with various competing products. Yes, I realize it may be hard to accept the opinion of someone working for the company, or believe they could possibly be objective, but I would not be here unless the product, company and people were exceptional. You would not be disapointed if you decide to go with Sophos. [:)]
  • I am not sure how it is for the America and other side of the world. However, for Australian support I have been disappointed. It appears they only have a small team for Australia and when America support closes down it gets diverted to the Australian team. 

They appear to be spread really thin and only the highest priority issues get looked at. I have a support case that's been open for 3 weeks and still haven't had a call back. As a result we can't wait any longer and have decided to return our UTM 120 to the distributor for a full refund.

However, the device itsself is amazing and we have purchased a 220 to have the performance point we need as the 120 wasn't cutting the mustard. However, I am disappointed that support didn't really take the time to assist us.
  • While it hurts me to say so, I have to agree with stealthmatt. I have been trying to get a price of a utm in Australia and keep being referred to the UK site.
    I eventually found a reseller and a website that give prices. Support, well one is send the box back to Singapore and the other wasn't sure. 
    Luckily if I do get to buy the utm I can do most of the configuration support myself, because we are only looking for a simple basic guard solution. Hardware, hope it won't fail.

Ian
  • Matt, here in North America, there's a good pre-sales support group that helps with issues during the 30-day trial phase.  Perhaps the same structure doesn't exist there.  Is there a thread here related to the issue that's gone three weeks without an answer?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Anyone who doubts Johnny's objectivity should check out his blog for some of his Johnny Crusades.

For simple fixes, sometimes the community can respond sooner than Sophos Support is able to, but at least if we (the community) aren't able to help then you've already got your ticket open.  Worst case scenario, the community can't help and Support investigates, best case scenario you email support, hit the forums, and then email support again to let them know the problem is resolved before they've even responded.

To throw a random sound-bite in there:  "There's some things the community can solve. For everything else, there's Support."

Also, consider asking about Technical Support Account Managers if you want to have someone to call you on a set-by-you schedule to review cases or questions, push cases along, or to just talk about what feature X of the UTM might be able to do for your network.  TSAMs don't do UTMs at the moment, but if people start asking for them I bet that would change pretty quick.