O365 MFA App Password - Samsung Mail App

Hello guys,

as we were configuring our user accounts to be enforced for Microsoft's MFA via O365, we need to make sure that our mails still sync to our mobile phones.

Right now we use SMC, mostly Samsung phones with the Samsung Mail app. Today i was testing, activating MFA for my test account and the mail sync wasnt possible anymore, not with the user's AD password (as expected) nor with the set app password in O365 (always "Wrong user name or password").

I then set up the Samsung Mail to connect directly to outlook.office365.com and the connection succeeded immediately.

Is SMC's Mail proxy not compatible with O365 MFA App Passwords or do i have to use a special setup?

Thanks in advance!

• Hi  

Would you please provide more information on your environment of SMC like version?

Also, I'd like to know when the Samsung app is not able to sync where it is trying to connect? EAS proxy?

• In reply to Jasmin:

Hi Jasmin,

we have currently SMC 9.0.6 installed. Our primary connection is over the EAS proxy, correct.

• In reply to Julian84:

Hi  

If you want your devices to directly connect to O365 you can specify the following things in your email profile assuming the email addresses in outlook 365 are the ones also in your LDAP directory:

Accountname: your choice (%_EMAILADDRESS_%)
    Exchange ActiveSync host: outlook.office365.com
    Domain: as required, leave it empty if possible
    User: %_EMAILADDRESS_%
    Email address: %_EMAILADDRESS_%
    SSL: yes

Please refer to this article and see if it helps you. Let me know if you have any concerns or queries regarding the same. 

• In reply to Shweta:

Hi Shweta,

as said, when we connect directly to O365 we have no problem, only when we use our EAS proxy.

To clarify, we dont have an EXTERNAL EAS proxy installed, we just use the internal one that comes with the SMC on premises installation.

• In reply to Julian84:

Hi  

We have discussed this with our support team and found that Standalone EAS proxy supports the authentication for office 365 and because of that you need to setup the connection through the PowerShell for your o365 mailboxes which are mentioned by Shweta.

• In reply to Jasmin:

Hi Jasmin,

that is good to know. Can i use our "internal" EAS Proxy or do i have to explicitely install the external one?

• In reply to Julian84:

Hi  

You need to use the external proxy to establish the connection using PowerShell. You can refer to this article for your reference.