Problem in deploying app using Sophos Mobile on MAC OS

Hi

I am trying to deploy Applications using Sophos mobile on MAC OS ( IMACs and Mac Books). 

I create a package ( pkg ) from .app.  For example I create an Numbers.pkg using the command :

pkgbuild --component /Applications/Numbers.app Numbers.pkg

I successfully upload the .pkg file to Sophos mobile Sophos-Mobile --> Apps --> macOS --> AddApp

I then install the application on the selected device using Sophos-Mobile -->Device --> Selected Device --> Installed Apps --> + Install APp

I see the status as successful on the Sophos Mobile - however the application is not installed on the device.

I am able to install .pkg files that are pre-built as .pkg , i.e. I do not have to build them using pkgbuild process using the above process.

Is there an example on how to install apps that are in .dmg format ? For example how to deploy Chrome browser on macOS using Sophos Mobile ?

Thanks
rehan
  • To add -  I am successfully able to manually copy the .pkg file and install it to the destination machine but deployment with sophos mobile is un-successful

• In reply to rehan tahir:

Hi  

Would you please suggest what is the error you are receiving on Sophos Mobile while deploying it?

Also please suggest if it is happening with any specific application and provide the version of the Sophos Mobile Control server.

• In reply to Jasmin:

Hi Jasmin

Thanks for your reply. 

The Sophos Mobile UI in Sophos Central gives the status of success for the deployment task.  However the application is not installed on the target macOS machine. 

I have tested it with MAC application Numbers. I have used the pkgbuild utility and tried all the options suggested at the following website : https://scriptingosx.com/2017/05/relocatable-package-installers-and-quickpkg-update/

I am using the trial version of Sophos Mobile so the version would be the latest one available at the Sophos Central for the 1 month free trial 

thanks

rehan

Hi  

If you are seeing on the Sophos dashboard, a successful task state means the device has started to download the app. To verify that the app was installed successfully, synchronize the device and check the list of installed apps on the device details page. 

• In reply to Shweta:

Hi Shweta

Thank you for your reply. 

The problem is not that the state is not synchronized between the Sophos dashboard and the target macOS device. 

I am on the target macOS device and I check / confirm there that the application is not installed. 

Thanks

rehan

Hi 

Also the after synching, the Sophos Mobile Dashboard indicates that the package is not installed. 

Thanks

rehan

Hi  

I will try to replicate the issue at our end and also discuss it with the team. However, Could you please specify which app you are trying to install? Any other application apart from that if you have tried to install? 

• In reply to Shweta:

Hi Shweta

I have tired iterm2, firefox, Numbers and Chrome.  All have failed

thanks

rehan

Hi  

For testing purposes, if you run the created package file(.pkg) manually on the machine, are you receiving any error? Or is it getting succesfully installed? 

• In reply to Shweta:

Hi

Manual ( without MDM)  install of the packages (.pkg files ) on the target machine is successful

thanks

rehan

Hi  

Please help me with the answers for the below queries:

1. Please suggest the macOS version installed on the destination machine.

2. Would you please suggest for which application you have installed through .pkg files? Once we have the name of the application we can try installing the application on our test machine.

3. Have you tried installing .pkg package manually for any these applications - firefox, chrome, numbers? 

• In reply to Jasmin:

Hi Jasmin

1:  macOS version on the destination machine is Mojave , Version 10.14.6

2: I have installed on the destination system iterm2, Numbers, Firefox and Chrome via pkg files manually ( i.e. without MDM ).  iterm2 is the simplest of them so I would suggest you can try that. 

3: Yes I have , as I have mentioned before.  Manual installation works fine.  

thanks

rehan

Hi  

I did some investigation at my end, and have tried to install chrome as well as numbers .pkg with MDM(I will try with iterm2 as well). When tried to install manually as well, we are getting certificate error that this application is untrusted. I did check with the escalation team for this, and it seems that when .dmg files are converted to .pkg file, the app store recognizes the certificate as untrusted and this is the reason it is not getting installed on the device. For getting the app(.pkg file) trusted certificate, is something Apple development/support team looks into. I would recommend you to check with the Apple support team as well once. 

• In reply to Shweta:

Hi Shweta

By "Apple support team" do you imply "Apple support team at Apple" or the "Apple support team at Sophos" ?

Thanks

rehan

Hi  

You will need to check with Apple Support team for the certificate issue within app