This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sohpos 9.15.1 memory usage. Is there way to control how many daemons are running?

I'm running Sophos for Linux free - standalone on a Slackware64 14.2 system.  I'm wonder if there is a way to control the number of daemons running?  At this time Sophos is using in excess of 648M of memory.  I read an article for 9.0.1 which indicated that some control of the number of daemons might be a feature of 9.3.  But SAV for Linux has changed a lot since then, unfortunately including the removal of a gui console and web console.   Any change the localhost:8081 might come back some day?  Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I'm afraid the WebUI won't be returning.

You can configure the number of savscands that are running using savconfig:

# /opt/sophos-av/bin/savconfig set Processes 1

There should only be three Sophos processes running presistently on a free installation - 1 savd controlling 2 savscand. So I'm not sure what processes you are seeing. But each savscand is ~350 MiB, so the amount of memory sounds about correct.

• Thanks for the reply. I found an article that gave that same control advice.  Set to "1" HTOP shows  one savd /etc/savd.cfg and children PID of one savscand aadn five savd. The savscand has fourteen childred PID of savscand --inciden-unix://tmp/incident ...

That is a total of 20 PIDs with about 299M of memorey.

Sound right?

Cheers

• Most of those PIDs are threads. 

If you do pstree -ap you can see threads in braces {}. 

1 savd process, controlling 1 savscand process, each with multiple threads.

• Yes most are threads.

I see my last reply was incomplete about the linux tasks.  In addition to the one savd.cfg with savscand and threads, the initial savd has five savd.cfg tasks running.  Why are there so many /etc/savd.cfg also started?

Cheers

• Thanks for the quick reply.  I'm quite pleased with Sophos for Linux.  It is too bad someone doesn't develop a small set of bash scripts in a single interface to call CLI commands for status (enabled services), view today's log, perform an on-demand scan (with selection of file or directory).  I'm not a programmer, but have created a single bash script that will create a Symantec VIP 2FA number, display it for 30 seconds and then autoclose.  Anyway it would be a nice set of simple queries in a small app to install and use with the standalone version of Sophos.   Thanks again.