This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Safeguard Default Passphrase (Win10 Under 8 characters)

Hi.

I am struggling one windows 10 pc allowed me to put in a Passphrase of under 8 characters, went to do another one and that insists that I have a 8 digit character and I don't want it to be 8 characters, I have set my (Default Passphrase) Within Policy Items to more than 4 but less than 8 and it worked on one win 10 but the second win 10 pc insists that it has to be at least 8 characters....

Help how can i change it to less?

I have also set the (Default Passphrase0 to be Priority 1 in the Policy Group (Default).

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
  • HI.

I've right clicked on the sophos safeguard icon 9which does have a small red exclamation mark on it does that mean anything?) and it says connecting to safeguard server and if i change somethign in the group policies it says updates found and so seems to be accepting changes but it doesn't want to know about the shorter password how can i tell if the device has the policy?

I've only got one (Group) of policies and that's in it.

•  Hello.

The policy appears to be getting to the pc as i changed the length of the codes to 6 characters for Passphrase / Password and PIN (so upated the three policies)

then went onto the client pc and it showed it updating policies.  Which of the policies is the actual one that controls the length of the password at startup? 

• Also logged in as a normal user not an Admin... This shows it logged in as a SGN User.

• Hi Stephanie, 

Beginning with Windows 10, version 1703, the minimum length for the BitLocker PIN was increased to 6 characters to better align with other Windows features that leverage TPM 2.0, including Windows Hello. To help organizations with the transition, beginning with Windows 10, version 1709 and Windows 10, version 1703 with the October 2017 cumulative update installed, the BitLocker PIN length is 6 characters by default, but it can be reduced to 4 characters. If the minimum PIN length is reduced from the default of six characters, then the TPM 2.0 lockout period will be extended.

Please refer to the Microsoft article here.

Haridoss Sreenivasan
    Technical Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.