This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos AP on non UTM network?

Hi all, 

I have several Sophos APs that i want to use on other (non UTM) networks.  is that possible?  Ie, to take a basic home router or similar and configure the Sophos AP manually to act as a wifi hotspot?

I can't see any physical reason it wouldn't work, just a matter of whether the config is available.

Thanks all

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Erin,

you need a management system for these APs. They don‘t work stand-alone.

This could be a UTM, a RED attached to a UTM or Sophos Central Wireless. Central Wireless compatability depends on model and HW revision. You will find a sticker on the AP „Central ready“.

Mit freundlichem Gruß, best regards from Germany,

Philipp Rusch

New Vision GmbH, Germany
    Sophos Silver-Partner

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Thanks, Philipp.  That certainly seems to be the state of things but I guess I am not clear on why.  This seriously hampers me from recommending the suite.  Draytech/Ubiquity and others sell APs for roughly the same costs but those are either centrally controlled or stand alone.  Especially as it seems it runs some version of OpenWRT under the hood, it would seem like we should be able to extend it to self managed.  I guess Sophos is blocking this but it is really too bad.  

Anyway, i think your answer is correct as of now, just disappointing.

Thanks

ej

• Thanks, Philipp.  That certainly seems to be the state of things but I guess I am not clear on why.  This seriously hampers me from recommending the suite.  Draytech/Ubiquity and others sell APs for roughly the same costs but those are either centrally controlled or stand alone.  Especially as it seems it runs some version of OpenWRT under the hood, it would seem like we should be able to extend it to self managed.  I guess Sophos is blocking this but it is really too bad.  

Anyway, i think your answer is correct as of now, just disappointing.

Thanks

ej

Children
No Data