This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Using UTM to emulate Internet Explorer Trusted Sites Zone?

IE has the design feature to split the network into four zones:   Intranet, Trusted Sites, Internet, and Restricted.    Of these, the two most important for UTM are Trusted Sites and Internet.   (I assume that if a site needs to be restricted, it will simply be blocked completely in UTM.)  In IE, the Trusted Site Zone enables a raft of features which are not enabled for the default Internet Zone.   Except for features like ActiveX that are specific to IE, this distinction has limited security benefit because other browsers do not have the zone concept and therefore enable all features equally.

It occurs to me that UTM could emulate the Trusted Sites feature for other browsers fairly easily.   Simply paste the Trusted Sites list into a WebSite exception, to apply a TrustedZone tag (leaving the Category and Reputation unaltered).

Has anyone done something like this?   If so, what UTM features have you implemented differently between the TrustedZone and the default zone?   

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Interesting thread, Doug.  I've pasted it at the top of the Web Protection forum for a month to see if that helps you get more comments/feedback.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Interesting thread, Doug.  I've pasted it at the top of the Web Protection forum for a month to see if that helps you get more comments/feedback.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data