This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why are ads on youtube not being blocked?!

Hi.

So, I've been struggling for a while trying to completely and utterly block ads from ever loading in Youtube videos. It seems like, no matter what I do, no matter what I block in UTM, nothing works. And this is very frustrating and is really beginning to piss me off.

HTTPS Filtering is turned on.

I've tried many different methods, I've blocked several application categories, different domains, urls and other stuff. I've even blocked QUIC completely.

But nothing is working. Ads are still getting through on YouTube. And I'm about fed-up with this.

If anyone has any suggestions, or anything that works PLEASE TELL ME! I do NOT want to block youtube completely.

App Control : 

Custom Filter Action : 

Website Filtering # 1 : 

Website Filtering # 2 : 

Website Filtering # 3 : 

Website Filtering # 4 : 

Firewall Rule on QUIC

These are just some of the troublesome URLs that seem to get through, despite everything I've put in place.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I’d like to block youtube ads in my home network because of my 7 years old son who likes to watch cartoons on our smart TV. One problem is that in a 20 minutes long episode of Johnny Test there are about 10-15 ads on the average, but the bigger problem is that there are also inappropriate ones, a few weeks ago I saw myself an ad for the horror movie The Nun 2 o’clock in the afternoon in the middle of cartoon for children.

• I think something may have changed on Youtube's ad thing, because I have this same solution going, and I am STILL getting ads from Youtube through the UTM (9.602-3).

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• The ads may be annoying, but do they represent an incremental security risk?

• The answer to that is subjective, and potentially in the future?  Possibly so.  We've seen a lot of changes on how people use ads to get malware and whatnot into systems in very clever ways.

My main point wasn't about that though - mine was the applied filter listed above no longer works.

• YouTube wants you to see ads.
    Ad blockers want you no to see ads.
    The two are at war.
    YouTube will occasionally change how they do things to render the blockers inoperative.
    Sophos is not part of this war.  You can use the UTM to do things, but that it not its primary purpose.  User shared tips are fine.
    If you really want to prevent ads, you should use one of the several different youtube ad blockers out there, most of which are browser plugins/extension - the best place to do blocking.
    Then there is always paying for YouTube Premium.

• Amodin,

Did you look at the Web Filtering log to see what category the ads were thought to be in?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • No, and that's a good idea I will look at, but since a Sophos Staff member seems to be discouraging this even though it could be a potential way for malware to be introduced and/or abused(as factual occurrences with ads have been utilized before), I will explore other means and discontinue this topic here.