This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

High bandwidth usage

Hi all,

Yesterday we started getting high bandwidth usage showing on the external interface, almost all bandwidth taken.  It's coming from cloudfront.net servers and all I can see is the external interface is the client and its unclassified traffic on tcp/80.

I've throttled it based on the cloudfront IP ranges to stop the impact.

I can find a way to see if it's a user doing something as the logs show no high activity from specific internal clients.

Any idea what can be done to track this down?

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • We've had this same issue, twice in under a week. The external WAN interface maxes out our pipe ~100mbit, but we don't see anything close to the same amount of corresponding traffic/usage on any of the internal interfaces. It usually lasts about 30 minutes and makes any internet related activity basically unusable.

The previous ideas about proxy/cache make sense, but has anybody figured out what specific application or process is causing it?

SG310

Firmware 9.408-4

• Steve, did you see my post on 8 Apr 2015 in this thread?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I did, but there is no corresponding traffic on the internal interfaces, which leads me to believe that the client (A/V) isn't receiving the data. If the proxy doesn't have anywhere to send the traffic why/what does it keep downloading? The flow monitor doesn't give you a specific IP for where its connecting to/from, just the IP for our WAN interface and AWS.

If this was just one connection that gets "stuck" downloading something, it shouldn't be noticeable to users. It would just use up whatever pipe is available, but when this happens everything else slows to a crawl, similar to if somebody was using BitTorrent and making thousands of connections that are all using as much available bandwidth as possible.

Steve

• "I did, but there is no corresponding traffic on the internal interfaces, which leads me to believe that the client (A/V) isn't receiving the data." Exactly.  That's the phenomenon I was describing.  The problem is that the sending server times out so the Proxy restarts the download.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • "I did, but there is no corresponding traffic on the internal interfaces, which leads me to believe that the client (A/V) isn't receiving the data." Exactly.  That's the phenomenon I was describing.  The problem is that the sending server times out so the Proxy restarts the download.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data