This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Transparent mode skiplist

I'm experiencing an interesting issue with the "Transparent mode skiplist".  It seems that my backup service (Crashplan) will intermittently stop working until I add the fqdn of the destination backup server to this list.  So anytime the backup destination changes, my backups fail until this is updated.  For example:

the backup destination might be backup1.crashplan.com, but now change to backup2.crashplan.com and fail until added to the list.

I am continually adding "DNS Host" network definitions and adding them to the "Transparent mode skiplist".  My question is related to creating some kind of network definition that allows for "ANYTHING".crashplan.com to be added to the list in one shot?  Are there other filtering options I can use that would make this work without managing the "Transparent mode skiplist" manually?  I notice my I am currently in "Standard Mode" under Global of the Web Filtering tab.  Currently running firmware version: 9.209-8

Let me know if you have more questions.  Thanks!

Adam Tyler
adam@tylercrew.com

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I couldn't get this to work unfortunately.  Ended up disabling the web filtering all together..  Using OpenDNS now for filtering and using the firewall to block all other outbound DNS traffic.  Pretty dumb, looking like Sophos has some work to do.  Quite a few applications out there this "Application Aware" firewall isn't aware of.. [;)]
  • This should work fine, Adam.  It's strange that no one asked you to show a line from the Web Filtering log file where crashplan was blocked.  I wonder if it was accepted by the web filter, but blocked by application control.  Can you find a line in either/both of those?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Application control is a blocking and management feature not white listing application.  The transparent skiplist also only works with the proxy in transparent mode.  Keep in mind many cloud providers use amazon for their backend not their IP ranges.  You need to look in the logs to properly ascertain which ranges to allow.  If you cannot get it working enlist your reseller.  Opendns is not a substitute for the superior edge protection provided by the utm.  Disabling the webfilter also severely hampers ATP which depends on webfilter and ips to fully function.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Lol..  Nope, I need to disable the firewall feature so the internet works properly.  content filtering via OpenDNS is working great.  [:)]

Seriously though, I spent quite a few hours pouring over logs and manually adding each IP related to CrashPlan to the exception list.  Every time my client would auto balance to a new IP it would break again.  I have better things to do with my life than babysit that.  Thank God I don't have any clients using this feature, I'd be on the phone all day..  I administer quite a few SonicWALL's too.  They seem  to be able to do content filtering, IPS, GAV, and Gateway Antispyware without issues like this...  Hmm..
  • Lol..  Nope, I need to disable the firewall feature so the internet works properly.  content filtering via OpenDNS is working great.  [[[:)]]]

Seriously though, I spent quite a few hours pouring over logs and manually adding each IP related to CrashPlan to the exception list.  Every time my client would auto balance to a new IP it would break again.  I have better things to do with my life than babysit that.  Thank God I don't have any clients using this feature, I'd be on the phone all day..  I administer quite a few SonicWALL's too.  They seem  to be able to do content filtering, IPS, GAV, and Gateway Antispyware without issues like this...  Hmm..

I have several clients using crashplan and other cloud backups without issue.  If you are good at sonicwall there's the issue..[[[:)]]]  UTM can do anything the sonicwall can do..as good if not better.  

I had another paragraph written here but it sounded condescending and I do not want to do that.  If you are the UTM reseller i would highly advise taking the UTM certification courses.  The thought processes of the UTM are wildly different than sonicwalls.  I ahve a client with two locations with sonicwalls and they have wildly different thought processes than UTM.  I'll be replacing those in 2018 when they go EOL not because they can't do the job..i jsut do not want to learn another UTM with such a radiclaly different thought system..[[[:)]]]

Other addons to follow

• I appreciate you not going the condescending route.  Interesting that you've been able to get this to work.  Can you give me the exact steps to follow your config?  I'm curious now having spent so much time on it.

I used to be a consultant, but have settled into a 8-5 job since then.  Probably won't be going through the training, just been using the free home license since my company provided SonicWALL was pulled.  I really do like the device.  I am using site to site VPN, email filtering, reverse NAT rules, client DSL VPN, LDAP integration, etc...  Just haven't been thrilled with the content filter .   Especially for home use.  It seems every time you'd turn around something didn't work as a result of the content filter.  My only recourse was to add IP's and definitions manually.  Was jut getting old.  I did lose the granularity of applying different content filtering policies to different users after the openDNS route.  Not a big fan of that, but the benefits of the internet working are enough to make it ok.

I even opened a ticket with crash plan support trying to get them to give me their subnets....  Nope, can't do it.  Yeesh...

I am also experiencing another issue with using this appliance in a VMware cluster.  It seems everything it gets vMotioned to a different host the license has to be reapplied.  So, it doesn't exactly like having the CPU Id change is my guess.  Ever run into that?  I'll probably open a different thread.
  • I appreciate you not going the condescending route.  Interesting that you've been able to get this to work.  Can you give me the exact steps to follow your config?  I'm curious now having spent so much time on it.

I used to be a consultant, but have settled into a 8-5 job since then.  Probably won't be going through the training, just been using the free home license since my company provided SonicWALL was pulled.  I really do like the device.  I am using site to site VPN, email filtering, reverse NAT rules, client DSL VPN, LDAP integration, etc...  Just haven't been thrilled with the content filter .   Especially for home use.  It seems every time you'd turn around something didn't work as a result of the content filter.  My only recourse was to add IP's and definitions manually.  Was jut getting old.  I did lose the granularity of applying different content filtering policies to different users after the openDNS route.  Not a big fan of that, but the benefits of the internet working are enough to make it ok.

I even opened a ticket with crash plan support trying to get them to give me their subnets....  Nope, can't do it.  Yeesh...

I am also experiencing another issue with using this appliance in a VMware cluster.  It seems everything it gets vMotioned to a different host the license has to be reapplied.  So, it doesn't exactly like having the CPU Id change is my guess.  Ever run into that?  I'll probably open a different thread.

I do not use vmware i use hyper-v.  i'll detail how i use things..i'm busy right now so i'll be replying.

Other addons to follow

• Thank you.  Have you migrated the VM to different hosts in hyper-v and experienced any licensing issues?
  • Thank you.  Have you migrated the VM to different hosts in hyper-v and experienced any licensing issues?

no to both..let's start another thread about hypervisors..i'l get back to you on the skiplists..[:)]

Other addons to follow