This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

[9.006-5] SAVI engine scan failed

On Sunday out of the blue, the web protection started to block all web traffic on the Sophos 9.006-5 running on a Pentium 4, 1GB RAM. Users were seeing "failed to get SAVI instance: no saviglue context". Reboots of the firewall did not help.

When the firewall's AV scanning was turned off in Web Protection: Web Filtering: Antivirus/Malware, web traffic started to work again.

When the firewall's Scan settings was changed from Sophos to Avira, under Management: System Settings: Scan Settings, and when the AV scanning was turned back on, web traffic continued to work.

The http.log shows errors like (I have attached a log extract): 

ERROR: Failed to load Sophos Anti-Virus threat data
SAVI engine scan failed: Unknown SAVI error
SAVI init failed: One of the files in a split-virus data set has the wrong checksum

Can anyone tell me what happened to the SAVI engine? Is this a bug or RAM exhaustion?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Seems there ist something gone wrong during the Up2Date process.

If you're a business user please have your reseller open a support case wih sophos support.

As a home license user I would save the config and do a clean reinstall, then reimport the config.

----------
    Sophos user, admin and reseller.
    Private Setup:

• XG: HPE DL20 Gen9 (Core i3-7300, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD) | XG 18.0 (Home License) with: Web Protection, Site-to-Site-VPN (IPSec, RED-Tunnel), Remote Access (SSL, HTML5)
    • UTM: 2 vCPUs, 2GB RAM, 50GB vHDD, 2 vNICs on vServer (KVM) | UTM 9.7 (Home License) with: Email Protection, Webserver Protection, RED-Tunnel (server)
  • Seems there ist something gone wrong during the Up2Date process.

If you're a business user please have your reseller open a support case wih sophos support.

As a home license user I would save the config and do a clean reinstall, then reimport the config.

----------
    Sophos user, admin and reseller.
    Private Setup:

• XG: HPE DL20 Gen9 (Core i3-7300, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD) | XG 18.0 (Home License) with: Web Protection, Site-to-Site-VPN (IPSec, RED-Tunnel), Remote Access (SSL, HTML5)
    • UTM: 2 vCPUs, 2GB RAM, 50GB vHDD, 2 vNICs on vServer (KVM) | UTM 9.7 (Home License) with: Email Protection, Webserver Protection, RED-Tunnel (server)
Children
  • Well on the bright side, changing the scan engine to Avira has made the box use less memory as you can see in the attached png file which is a good thing when the firewall only has 1GB of memory.

I will have to try the wipe and reload/restore method when I am onsite next. 

From the up2date log for the previous day:

I can see that u2d-savi-9.2515-2516 was installed successfully on April 13 at 21:21 (as you can see in the attached up2date logextract). But by 23:00, the firewall could no longer connect to the Authentication server. This failure to connect to the authentication servers (all six) continued until 11:46am the day of the trouble and a minute before the http saviscanner errors.

The firewall installedup2date package file '/var/up2date//savi/u2d-savi-9.2516-2517.patch.tgz.gpg'

And right after that, the http log started showing those saviscanner.c errors.

Is there a way to revert or delete the bad savi up2date install (other than a wipe and restore)?