This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Parked domain

What are the data resources used by astaro to determine a domain is a parked domain ?

I ask thios for 2 reasons :

- first i have quite some web sites blocked because of the url filter errors. Example : TinyMCE - Home is not a parked domain but is blocked for this reason.

- second : as a programmer, i need to code the same functionnality for a project so if i rely on the same resources as astaro url filter, i would be able to do the same errors [:)] but that be a beginning...is astaro using an opensource url filter software product ? or a particular database containing up to date parked domains ?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Astaro using TS
     TrustedSource - Check Single URL 
    Send and propose a different classification
  • is astaro using an opensource url filter software product ? or a particular database containing up to date parked domains ?
    Astaro uses a paid-for commercial database for URL filtering.  TrustedSource - Internet reputation system, using the McAfee SmartFilter XL database.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • Thanks scott, that's instructive. Anyway, based on my recent experience revealing many parked domains not blocked and more than a few non parked domains which are blocked, this McAfee product gives bad results and should give the money back to astaro/sophos...

At the end, i'm still confused and near chocked that such an information is not some kind of standardized, i mean whatever free public or commercial, it's not like it were to provide the lottery results and stuff giving weather predictions... or it's just for the pleasure to sell incorrect informations ? ... these kinds of things are clearly out of my comprehension...
  • You can submit corrections to TS.

Barry
  • Yes, by nature or instinct, common social contributions is the way to follow for the benefit of everyone. I'm just exposing my position in this particular case where, to my mind, the approach does not apply simply because McAfee service is a bad one. Helping bad foundations does not help, neither McAfee neither us and only help to encourage bad principles. Now, why am i saying the service is bad ?

Because there are quite a few different approachs to determine if a domain is parked or not. Most of these approachs rely on very very simple basic ideas. Example : some say that google bots evaluate how much plain text there is versus text links to determine if it is a link farm or PPC search page.

Now let's take the given example with the TinyMCE web site, an extremely well known web site from a very very long time. If the page has been analysed with the worst techniques at least one time in the last ten years, the domain wouldn't have been listed as parked. As a result, analysed or not, this is clearly and simply not acceptable for a commercial service.
  • Kynao, Do you have a suggestion for a better service?  I know that Astaro chose it after looking hard at many different options, and that Symantec bought the company less than a year later.  Frankly, my experience has been that it is vastly superior to the old "blacklist" approach.  I'm sure Astaro would be open to anything that would improve its offering, and resellers like me like to have the sharpest knives of the hardest steel.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Kynao, Do you have a suggestion for a better service?  I know that Astaro chose it after looking hard at many different options, and that Symantec bought the company less than a year later.  Frankly, my experience has been that it is vastly superior to the old "blacklist" approach.  I'm sure Astaro would be open to anything that would improve its offering, and resellers like me like to have the sharpest knives of the hardest steel.
    Cheers - Bob

Yes BAlfson, i have a suggestion, thanks for asking.
    I'm much confident that we clearly can obtain far much better results, and based on what i saw i'm even convinced of.

You mentionned it's vastly superior to the old "blacklist" approach, i didn't checked it but it has to be true as you did investigated it and i did the same for the last approach and you know that for me the last approach is not superior enough, i'm even asking myself if it's useful as i consider it more as a problem than a solution. 

Here are my suggestions based on the idea to keep the money you give to online services and use this money for : 

1. Implement basic methods like the one i gave as an example, it's not a bad one => "evaluate how much plain text there is versus text links to determine if it is a link farm or PPC search page".

It would be one of the simple methods in the list the astaro administrator would check or uncheck for the researched results. So a domain is determined parked or not on request.

The astaro forum or uservoice could be used to suggest addition simple methods and i would be among the people interested to give feedback about this section.

2. As a domain is determined parked or not on request, it could feed : 

- an astaro gateway db and an optional parameter give the possibility to the administrator to determine an interval (number of days) for a domain to be analysed again (in case this db content is even considered useful)

- an online astaro db (on your website/servers) feeded by all astaro gateways deployed in the world and so would be useful for all these astaro gateways in return.... and hey... it's so obvious you would obtain a centralized db so much more accurate and useful than any other db [except google [:)]] in the world if McAfee is conciderated as a leader in this area... and you would be the one selling the service eventually...

3. Flexible evolution and personalization : Allow the additions of methods calls. For example, the astaro engine could allow the definitions of REST calls 
    to external logic so developer could have their rest server giving the astaro gateway the answer "parked" or "not parked" for a given domain.

4. This one is an optional one and subject to thinking but would be useful : there are db for existing web domains out there, at least because some propose web domain db for localization purpose. By using them and if not by your own servers, the work could be split among different astaro gateways during idle time to analyse each entry and retrieve some web domain informations, and one of them is the one we are discussing about : is it parked or not ?
  • Just an FYI; Astaro has been through several different content filtering DB providers since I've been a partner of theirs... so if there's an "ultimate" content filter DB, they could certainly try it... that said, I've tried 'em all, and they all have strengths and weaknesses.  The current DB in use (TrustedSource) has been the best so far, especially on Astaro.  Just my 2 cents.  [:)]

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• keep the money you give to online services and use this money
    and you would be the one selling the service eventually
    Very nicely written Kynao.  Having their own content database would be much more applicable to Astaro's new parent company Sophos, than to Astaro itself IMO.  Sophos would have the necessary capital resources (money and manpower) and it would be doubtful that another UTM vendor would purchase a service branded with a direct competitors name.

Edit:  Sophos actually does have it's own content filtering service and at some point Astaro may consider "dogfooding" this over the McAfee one.  I would think it would have to do with the cost and how well it performs in comparison.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • it would be doubtful that another UTM vendor would purchase a service branded with a direct competitors name.

Ok, so this part, ie providing the domain service, has not to be taken into account but it were not the main part of my suggestion anyway.

EDIT : There are not only UTM vendor business interested into such a service but again that's not much important in our discussion, it were just a digression.

Edit:  Sophos actually does have it's own content filtering service and at some point Astaro may consider "dogfooding" this over the McAfee one.  I would think it would have to do with the cost and how well it performs in comparison.

Then doing this comparison is all i can suggest as the results will talk by themselves and i have no doubt about the approach which would have the best quality results.

EDIT : I did a few tests and from what i can see, good or bad results, my conclusion is that the web pages are not analysed, Mcafee uses other techniques approach or sources of information so even if Sophos is not interested at all in making significant changes for this feature, it would still be useful to let developpers plug their own logic behind the results given by an astaro gateway for any given domain.