This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Web Filter Exceptions Not Working - Where do Exceptions Apply?

I have enabled the out of the box exception for Windows Updates.

I have a blacklist applied for a particular network.

*.windowsupdate.com and *.microsoft. com are still blocked.

I had to copy the two regex patterns from the Windows Update Exclusion Policy and add them to the "Websites" --> "Allow These Websites" list on the blacklist filter action.

Is this expected behavior?

I assumed that exclusions added and enabled on "Filtering Options" would be universally applied.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • This is all I have for my Windows Updates (including Office) and works great.  I do have a lot of telemetry even blocked and I can see those being blocked in my web filter log, but this allows updates through.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• This is all I have for my Windows Updates (including Office) and works great.  I do have a lot of telemetry even blocked and I can see those being blocked in my web filter log, but this allows updates through.

Children
  • Thanks for the reply.  So this is the only rule you have enabled and it applies to all of your web traffic, regardless of the profile and action they  trigger?

I had to add all of those regexes in your screenshot to my default content filter block action in order to get windows updates working.

• Correct.  I have telemetry blocked and I have a very long list of ads that I block, but this is all I've needed for Windows Updates.  I think most people miss one little thing in a regex entry that can completely negate your goal.  I've helped quite a bit of people specifically with this setup with Office Update as well that they could not reach before.  They can now.  Slight smile