This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to block all videos impeded into Webpages?

As the subject says, I want to block all videos impeded into webpages, like the videos you find will browsing Facebook, Instagram or the videos in the news websites for example.

P.s. I have Sophos UTM 9 version: 9.509-3 on SG230

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hala Mohamed and welcome to the UTM Community!

Although you can block sites like YouTube and Netflix in Web Filtering, you can't accomplish all you want there.  Normally, I would start with adding a new Category on the 'Categories' tab containing just 'Streaming Media' and then add that to blocked categories, but that requires a lot more experience with WebAdmin.

You want 'Application Control'.  There you can create a rule to 'Control by: Applications', select 'Streaming Media', wait a minute or two for the check boxes to appear and then check the services you want to block.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thank you very much for your response, as I understand this is for blocking the whole site but I just want to block the media within the site - streaming videos for particular -

If I understand you correctly I can't accomplish that with the current UTM version, if I'm wrong please clarify. 

• There are two ways to accomplish this with UTM, Mohamed.

The least resource-intensive would be to use URL filtering in Web Filtering.  Since most sites now use HTTPS to distribute videos and some use ports other than HTTP/S, blocking videos this way is not easy for someone new to UTM.

The second way is Application Control, which is also in the Web Protection section.  There, instead of checking a database of URLs, the UTM actually analyzes the traffic packets to see if they match the pattern of the application you're trying to control.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • There are two ways to accomplish this with UTM, Mohamed.

The least resource-intensive would be to use URL filtering in Web Filtering.  Since most sites now use HTTPS to distribute videos and some use ports other than HTTP/S, blocking videos this way is not easy for someone new to UTM.

The second way is Application Control, which is also in the Web Protection section.  There, instead of checking a database of URLs, the UTM actually analyzes the traffic packets to see if they match the pattern of the application you're trying to control.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data