This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can the Web Appliance Filter IP addresses upstream on a separate Vlan?

Greetings,

I am trying to assist an institution that has a Sophos Web Filter (The 1100) and have never worked with this device before..  I searched the archive but could not find anything relating entirely to my question..  I appreciate any help anyone can provide..  

Currently,  the setup is like this with the Web filter in Bridge mode.

192.168.1.X (client networks aggregated to a network switch) ---> sophos Device (192.168.1.2) ---> gateway (192.168.1.1) ----> internet  

I am trying to Segment their network a bit.   Currently all of their traffic goes through the Sophos Filter in Bridge mode before it hits the Gateway.  However, they are about ready to add a bunch of devices that will add much more traffic and worrying about overloading the Filter..  Since I cannot use Transparent mode, I am wondering if the filter will filter ip addresses from a different Vlan?  Like the Diagram Below:

192.168.1.X  (Client VLAN (number 1) that needs filtering) --> Vlan Interface 192.168.1.1 ---->(through Vlan Routing)  Separate Vlan (number 2) for Sophos in Bridge Mode  192.168.2.2 (Sophos Device) ----> new gateway (192.168.2.1) ---->  Internet

Will the sophos Device be able to filter devices in the 192.168.1.x Range while in Bridge mode even though the device is on a separate VLAN (The 192.168.2.x range)?  

Is their a special configuration that we will need to look at in the device to make this change?  

Sincerely,
Andrew D Flint

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Andrew and welcome to the UTM Community!

You will want to ask your question in the Web Appliance Community.  I believe the answer to both questions is yes, but doubt that anyone here knows how to do this with the Web Appliance.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Andrew and welcome to the UTM Community!

You will want to ask your question in the Web Appliance Community.  I believe the answer to both questions is yes, but doubt that anyone here knows how to do this with the Web Appliance.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data