This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Some ports (WSUS-related) blocked by Sophos across VPN

Situation:

Site A = 10.0.0.0/23, UTM-A = 10.0.0.1, HostA = 10.0.1.119

Site B = 10.0.50.0/24, UTM-B = 10.0.50.1, HostB = 10.0.50.3

conecetd by a Site-to-Site VPN

If on HostA, I do an `nmap -p 1000,2000,3000,8530,8531,8532 HostB`, I see the SYN packets for all these ports (plus the default ports 80, 443) coming in on eth0 of UTM-A, but on the outgoing side (eth1 of UTM-A), ports 8530 and 8531 are missing. Consequently, the nmap result lists 8530 and 8531 as "filtered" (and the others as "open" or "closed")

Even if I temporarily add a rule "any-any-any" as top firewall rule, the situation is the same.

It seems that specifically 8530 and 8531 are blocked - and only for this VPN connection: If I try the same from HostA to a host at a different site (Site C), everything is ok, i.e., nmap list all tested ports as open or closed as expected, and no port is listed as filtered.

What is wrong?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Does doing #1 in Rulz give you any hints?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

re rule #1: while testing, I see nothing related in the live logs Intrusion Prevention, Application Control, Firewall live, Adnvanced Protection.

We have Intrusion Protection disabled, but I still added an exception for all options (Intrusion Protection, Portscan, TCP SYN flood, UDP flood, ICMP flood) and services 80530/8531. No change.

:(

• Hi Bob,

re rule #1: while testing, I see nothing related in the live logs Intrusion Prevention, Application Control, Firewall live, Adnvanced Protection.

We have Intrusion Protection disabled, but I still added an exception for all options (Intrusion Protection, Portscan, TCP SYN flood, UDP flood, ICMP flood) and services 80530/8531. No change.

:(

Children