This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SSL VPN No login screen

Greetings forum users,
I have searched for another user with a login problem similar to mine, but cannot find anyone who has experienced the same issue.

I have one user who cannot log into our SSL VPN. When the user clicks on the Sophos VPN client there's no pop up window asking for the users credentials. After about 30sec or so, an error message appears informing me that the connection failed.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the client software twice now. Other users have no problem logging into the VPN. I can even use the same problematic users credentials on a different computer with no problem. I think it might be the computer, however I was wondering if anyone can tell me what this log file is trying to tell me. I believe that the VPN client cannot open a local port, however I cannot find any other program that is using that same port.

I've attached the short log file. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • In my experience similar Sophos UTM SSL VPN client connection problems are usually solved by one the following:

• Make sure the SSL VPN adapter in the client is listed first.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Oddly enough, there's no other VPN Client on this computer. I have uninstalled the Sophos client, even going as far as removing the Sophos folder located in Programs(x86). Then re-installing it.
    I also noted a strange behavior. When I first launch the Sophos client (as admin), I get a moment of nothing happening, then the stoplight icon disappears from the task bar. The service is still running, however it seems that the program has crashed. I'm trying to think of any program that would interfere.
  • This has nothing to do with other VPNs.  It's just about the adapter order in Windows.  In Win7, it's in Network Connections, 'Advanced', 'Advanced Settings' where you want to move the Sophos SS VPN adapter to the top.

Cheers - Bob
    PS Yes, I normally set 'Run as Administrator' in the Properties of the link.

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • TacoBilly93, you have misunderstood my point no.2..[;)]

I wasn't suggesting you to check if you have installed another SSL VPN client on the comp, but adviced to try another one (like the one mentioned in that thread). 

As I see, Sophos SSL VPN client is just a little rebranded version of OpenSSL VPN client, so you are not bounded to it, you can use whatever SSL VPN client you prefer.
  • BAlfson, I cannot seem to find this order you are talking about. I have a Network and Sharing Center. When I look at the adapter settings, I'm not sure where to find this 'Advanced' menu that you are talking about. Win7 is not allowing me to move the adapters around at all.

I have installed the client software as an admin, and I am running the client as an admin as well.

Thank you for the advice villic, I have been looking at Shrewsoft. I do like how nicely packaged the Sophos client is for my users. I will continue to demo some other VPN client software.
  • First go to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change adapter settings.

Then press the ALT button on your keybord to reveal the menu bar. After that Advanced -> Advanced settings.
  • Ah, thank you villic. I apologize, it was right in front of my face....
    Now here's an interesting thing. The adapter is already at the top of the list. I notice this  processe running when I fire up the client software:
    -openvpn-gui.exe*32
    Once I typed in the username and password, that process was joined by:
    -openvpn.exe*32
    After about 15 seconds or so, the openvpn-gui.exe process disappeared from the task manager and the stoplight icon also disappeared. Not sure why this is crashing.
  • My advice (again...[;)]): try with another SSL VPN client like OpenSSL or SecurePoint SSL VPN just to check if the problem is Windows or client related.
  • I apologize for taking so much time getting back to you folks.

It seems that the problem is indeed the computer. I was not able to get either SecurePoint or the Sophos client up an running on the client computer. I was able to use the users credentials on a different machine without a problem however. So there must be a software or configuration conflict making the virtual NIC not operate properly. Not sure, but at least I can remove the VPN client as the problem.

Thank you for your advice vilic and BAlfson.