This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VPN Auto Connect

Hey guys, I have two scenarios I would like to cover.

We started monitoring our customers sites with a linux appliance, now I would like to install a VPN Client on the Linux box that auto connects to our UTM.
Preference is IPSEC right now, wouldn't mind SSL either, we have some firewalled customers.

Second szenario is not that important, I run a Windows VM for off-site Backups. I would like to auto connect to the UTM. Don't have a VM UTM at home anymore [:(]

If worst comes to worst we will deploy a lightweight open source gateway behind the customers router or create a site2site (which doesn't work with all customers) 

all input is appreciated!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi, Toby,

I understand your scenarios, but I don't understand what you intend to use the connection for in each case.  Also, what is the OS in the Windows device?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi, 

1. on Linux (I use CentOS), the IPSec-Tools package can run as a service and should be able to auto-connect. Make sure to get all the parameters to match on both ends

2. I'm not sure about auto-connect on the Windows clients; maybe someone else can pitch in

Barry
  • Thanks for your reply and time guys!

@BAlfson, we install a linux appliance like I said at our customers site, the appliance monitors similar to nagios the network. The appliance should connect to our central monitoring network and should relay its gathered information to our central appliance. We habe also some customers which are firewalled through some data center, they can only access WAN through a central forefront proxy with http/s. SSL VPN Does work when we work at their sites with our laptops.

second scenario is a Veeam B&R, I run a windows 7 VM at home anyways and I m greedy with my vRAM on my small ESXi here. So I would like to connect the Windows to our Veeam Backup Server at Office and run Offsite Backups. If thats not possible I will install a UTM Home appliance or pfsense as a gateway again.

What would be really great is, a SSL VPN Package like the Sonicwall netextender for auto connections. I know this is a security problem with autoconnections, but I ve seen customers with VB Scripts to fill in username and passwort in the SSL VPN client cause they are to lazy to type. [:O]

@BarryG, the IPsec tools Package was also our idea, guess thats what we will do. Do you have some papers or references to give me a boost?
  • For your Win7 box, use the Task Scheduler with the prescription in: To connect to a VPN by using a command prompt

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hey Bob,

good input, will look into that!