This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cisco VPN Disconnects after an hour

Following the manual for setting up the Cisco VPN client for a remote VPN to the Astaro gateway, I've got my VPN up and working.  However, each time I connect to the VPN my connection will only stay active for an hour.  After and hour it disconnects.  I am running version 4.9.01.0280 of the cisco vpn client on OS X 10.6.7 and ASG v8.102.

I cannot figure out why it is auto disconnecting me on a regular (very) basis.  Anyone seen this before?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Please try the experiment with the Astaro's IPsec SA lifetime.  In any case, my first guess would be a client issue, but if you've connected that client to other VPN servers, then I'm still confused.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Please try the experiment with the Astaro's IPsec SA lifetime.  In any case, my first guess would be a client issue, but if you've connected that client to other VPN servers, then I'm still confused.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children

Cheers - Bob

I dug around and found the ASG setting for IPSec lifetime.  The problem is that I don't know policy to edit, because I'm unsure which I'm using.  Like I mentioned before I followed these instructions for setting up the VPN:

https://support.astaro.com/support/index.php/Cisco_VPN_Client_How_To

No where in there does it even talk about IPSec policies, and their subsequent settings.  All of the policies are set as they were by default.  I reluctant to just change configs without any indication that those settings (or which ones) are even being used.

Cheers - Bob

Through my client statistics, I was able to guess either the AES 256, or AES 256 PFS IPSec SA.  Both were set by default to 3600 seconds however I changed both to much longer times but my VPN connection would still drop after and hour.  No apparent change.
  • In case there was any confusion.  I am still having issues.  Considering returning to my little Netscreen.  A VPN that stays up is better than pretty graphs any day.
  • In case there was any confusion.  I am still having issues.  Considering returning to my little Netscreen.  A VPN that stays up is better than pretty graphs any day.

I have seen this happen at one of my locations. I switched to the openvpn client and it resolved the problem. I was going to re-ISO the appliance and switch them back to the Astaro client to see if the problem went away but have not had time yet.
     I suspect that will resolve the problem.