This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SSL VPN client

HI,

We use an SG230 firewall running Firmware version: 9.605-1.  There are firmware upgrades which I am looking into doing shortly.

The SSL VPN client that we download from the UserPortal shows up as version 2.1 when installing and in the control panel. When I go into the logs of the VPN, it shows as OpenVPN 2.3.8.

Is this the latest compatible version with our firewall? If there is a newer version, how do I get it to show in our UserPortal?

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello,

in fact, the Sophos SSL Client is a modified version of the OpenVPN Client.

You could use a newer Version from their community releases:  https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/

I use version 2.5.0 of 28. October 2020 with UTM 9.705 sucessfully.

Mit freundlichem Gruß, best regards from Germany,

Philipp Rusch

New Vision GmbH, Germany
    Sophos Silver-Partner

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Hi Philipp,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. 

I am aware it is a modified version of OpenVPN, I am specifically wondering if there is an up to date version of the Sophos branded application.  We have over 100 users connecting by VPN, and if I upgrade it, would like to ensure it is downloaded from the firewall itself, as we currently do through the UserPortal.

Thanks again.

• Hi and welcome to the UTM Community!

Every component of the UTM is "older" code.  Instead of immediately integrating a newer version, the Sophos developers patch the existing code that they've already hardened. I feel more comfortable with the patched "older" version than the newer one directly from OpenVPN.  There are places, like my iPhone, where the only choice is the OpenVPN client, and, as Philipp says, that works perfectly.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi and welcome to the UTM Community!

Every component of the UTM is "older" code.  Instead of immediately integrating a newer version, the Sophos developers patch the existing code that they've already hardened. I feel more comfortable with the patched "older" version than the newer one directly from OpenVPN.  There are places, like my iPhone, where the only choice is the OpenVPN client, and, as Philipp says, that works perfectly.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data