This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VPN/Postgres/ntpd/configs issue

We're running UTM 9.5 on AWS. One queen, two swarm nodes. Sunday evening, we began experiencing issues with the VPN service on the Queen. On Monday, the issues continued, allowing users to connect for approximately 10-30 seconds, and then all traffic stopped. They still showed as connected, the UTM status logs still showed them as connected, but no traffic would pass. During this time, I noticed FATAL:  terminating connection due to administrator command in our logs, as well as ntpd exiting on signal 15 (Terminated) and the dns-resolver subsystem spinning up. All of these repeatedly.

This morning, I started thinking about the fact that maybe the system is restoring configuration (though I don't think it should be) repeatedly, coinciding with all of the above. A little digging led me to the ha_aws service, since it's underlying script talks about syslog, postgres, confd, etc. Stopping the ha_aws service, all of the VPN issues, postgres restarting, ntpd restarting, dns-resolver restarting, etc, were all magically fixed.

My question is: what does the ha_aws service actually do, and is it required to be running for synchronization between the queen and swarm nodes, as well as for configuration backups to be running? Is there a way to troubleshoot what's causing ha_aws to kill these processes? I have an strace of the ha_aws process and it's children.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Possibly related, I'm specifically using an Hourly based ami (ami-e60d2c83) but occasionally on termination and associated spin up of a new Queen, I end up with a screen complaining to me that my license has expired. I'm really getting frustrated with Sophos UTM 9. This hasn't been a very pleasant experience.

• What does Sophos Support have to say about this, Glendon?  This is not a venue for official interaction with them.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • What does Sophos Support have to say about this, Glendon?  This is not a venue for official interaction with them.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data