This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What order are additional policies applied?

If you look at additional policies, what order are they actually applied?

It says in priority order, but is this from low to high or high to low?

If you have 40 additional policies, is it going to apply number 40 first and then move up each policy until it gets to 1? Or the other way around?

I am assuming it starts at 40, and ends with the highest priority 1 last based on what I am seeing myself.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
  • Thanks for that, I am a little confused now then....

We have an additional policy which is number 19, the rule is called YouTube Allow, and it basically set the category of "Streaming Media" to Allow.

We then have a default student policy at number 23, this has BLOCK for "Streaming Media". I have just tested a student that falls into both of these categories and it seems they are allowed YouTube. They are supposed to have YouTube, but I don't understand how it is working, my thought process is:

Sophos has noticed the student is in the group for default student and youtube_allow. It runs down the policy list starting at 1. It hits rule 19 and sets streaming media to ALLOW, it then continues down the policies and sees that it also matches the default student policy at 23, sees that it should block streaming media so sets it back to block.

Because the block policy is applied last, should the result not be that YouTube is blocked?

Thanks.

• The policy order is from 1 down to 40 in your case. The process stops when it finds a match.

The second policy is a waste of time because it will never be reached.

XG115W - v20.0.2 MR-2 - Home

XG on VM 8 - v21 EAP

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.