This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ASG connection to ACC = frustration

I am a bit flustered and feeling like a real noob right now because I cannot get my external ASG units to communicate with my ACC (which is behind an ASG).

For the longest time I have had an ACC v2 running with internal and external ASG units connected, my setup looks like this;

ASG2 v7.5 -> ~internet (DynDNS)~ -> ASG1 v8.3 -> ACC v2
ASG3 v8.3 ->
ASGx vx ->

ASG2/3 configured to get ASG1 IP address via DynDNS
ASG1 has a DNAT rule to forward 4433 to ACC unit

I had been going along blissfully on ACC v2 not knowing about ACC v3 until a few months ago.  So I upgraded my ACC to v3 but I was never able to get the external ASG units to communicate to it.  Since I was not too worried about the new v3 features, I just reverted back to v2 and all was good again.

Now that UTM v9 is officially out I have been slowly replacing old external Astaro ASG hardware (ASG2, ASG3, ASGx) with new (non-Astaro/Sophos) hardware and installing UTM v9 on them.  This has all been going along great.

At the same time I decided to upgrade my ASG1 to UTM v9 and as well upgrade my ACC to v3.  Now I am not able to get the external ASGx units to communicate with my ACC once again.

So after many hours of beating on the dead horse and reading here in the forums, I am at a complete loss of what I am either doing wrong or not understanding what setting I am missing and as a result feeling like a complete noob.

Keep in mind that my ACC is sitting behind my ASG1 and the two of them are able to communicate, so yes ASG1 shows up in ACC.

So I am asking for some help in understanding what steps are needed to get the external ASGx units to communicate with my ACC.

I have seen in some threads about ACC-SSL and I see in ASG1 there is an ACC-SSO-Admin.  So I have enabled SSL VPN on ASG1 and added the ACC-SSO-Admin user.  But still no connections.  I have even added an Any-Any-Any rule to all ASG units just to be sure there were no blocked ports.

I am at my wits end, please help...

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Yup, under Gateway Manager, have set all settings I can think of, including on the Device Security tab added Any and VPN Pool (SSL) to Allowed Networks.  I have also checked the Required Authentication option and added the Shared Secret password that I have set on all the ASGx units.
  • Yup, under Gateway Manager, have set all settings I can think of, including on the Device Security tab added Any and VPN Pool (SSL) to Allowed Networks.  I have also checked the Required Authentication option and added the Shared Secret password that I have set on all the ASGx units.
Children
  • Should work... probably missing something simple.  Set logging to enabled on your NAT / Firewall rules on the ASG 1 box, and watch the live log when a remote ASG (that is failing to connect) tries to connect -- do you see the 4433 packets?  if not, check your firewall rules.  If so... check the ACC Device Agent log on the remote ASG, it will indicate what is going on.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• Also, what platform are you running ACC V3 on?  If it's VMware, make sure you don't have any vShield stuff set to block the needed traffic (I've seen it done).

Sophos Platinum Partner

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• Also, what platform are you running ACC V3 on?  If it's VMware, make sure you don't have any vShield stuff set to block the needed traffic (I've seen it done).

My ACC is running on its own individual hardware; mini-itx Atom-D525 system.
  • Should work... probably missing something simple.  Set logging to enabled on your NAT / Firewall rules on the ASG 1 box, and watch the live log when a remote ASG (that is failing to connect) tries to connect -- do you see the 4433 packets?  if not, check your firewall rules.  If so... check the ACC Device Agent log on the remote ASG, it will indicate what is going on.

This is why I feel like such a noob, it is likely something very simple that I am just not seeing.

With the rule Any-Any-Any turned on on both ASG1 and ASGx units, and looking at the ASG1 Firewall, IPS, and Web Filtering logs, there are no entries with port 4433, hmmmm, I am not liking that.  I also  changed the ACC Host setting on ASGx with the actual IP address of ASG1, so that should eliminate any DynDNS issues.

When I check the remote ASGx Central Management log I get this;

2012:08:17-17:03:43 ***XX device-agent[17861]:Updating ACC IP address for path: acc/server1/server
    2012:08:17-17:03:43 ***XX device-agent[17861]: [1] Connecting to ACC socket (ip=***.***.***.***, port=4433).
    2012:08:17-17:03:43 ***XX device-agent[17861]: [1] Using ACC SSL connection.
    2012:08:17-17:03:48 ***XX device-agent[17861]: [1] ACC connection failure, retrying (ip=***.***.***.***, port=4433). SSL-connect: 'IO::Socket::INET configuration failederror:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)'
    2012:08:17-17:03:54 ***XX device-agent[17861]: [1] ACC connection failure, retrying (ip=***.***.***.***, port=4433). SSL-connect: 'IO::Socket::INET configuration failederror:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)'
    2012:08:17-17:03:55 ***XX device-agent[17861]: [1] Connection failed (ip=***.***.***.***, port=4433).
    2012:08:17-17:03:55 ***XX device-agent[17861]: Not reporting inotify: no role
    2012:08:17-17:03:55 ***XX device-agent[17861]: timer2 -> module 1 not executing: denied by role
    2012:08:17-17:03:55 ***XX device-agent[17861]: timer2 -> module 2 not executing: denied by role
    2012:08:17-17:03:55 ***XX device-agent[17861]: timer2 -> module 3 not executing: denied by role
    2012:08:17-17:03:55 ***XX device-agent[17861]: timer2 -> module 4 not executing: denied by role
    2012:08:17-17:03:55 ***XX device-agent[17861]: timer2 -> module 5 not executing: denied by role
    2012:08:17-17:03:55 ***XX device-agent[17861]: timer2 -> module 6 not executing: denied by role
    2012:08:17-17:03:55 ***XX device-agent[17861]: timer2 -> module 7 not executing: denied by role
    2012:08:17-17:04:00 ***XX device-agent[17861]:*

I see the SSL failures, not sure what to do about that as I mentioned I did enable SSL VPN on ASG1 and added ACC-SSO_Admin user.

??Not sure what the other errors; module 7 not executing denied by role??
  • I noted some of your other postings -- time to look upstream from ASG1 ... possibly your ISP, or an upstream firewall, is to blame.  I have had ISPs block certain ports before without warning.

Sophos Platinum Partner

• I noted some of your other postings -- time to look upstream from ASG1 ... possibly your ISP, or an upstream firewall, is to blame.  I have had ISPs block certain ports before without warning.

Hit the nail on the head there Bruce!!!  I thought about that too. So I looked through the logs and noted that there was alot of unusual dropped packets in front of the WAN port on ASG1 [:S].  Then all of a sudden I noticed that eth0 interface had a 192.* address [:S]

Long story short, I am an ATT UVerse customer and well, it seems that sometime in the last year ATT must have pushed a firmware update to the modem and caused my bridge mode to switch back to firewall/nat mode.  That explains alot of unusual networking issues...[:O]

So this was an easy fix, log into the ATT modem, goto the settings page and check mark the bridge mode. whew. ALL IS BETTER NOW! [:D]

Don't you just love when you ISP changes things on you without notification.
  • Glad it was simple.

Sophos Platinum Partner

• FWIW, AT&T did push out a firmware update recently that probably caused that... the update, among other things, prevents those who depend on the RG for NAT from using the 10.x.x.x network range... rumors vary as to what they will be doing with the 10.x.x.x range, some think RNAT may be the purpose.  It won't affect you, necessarily, other than the update is probably what wiped out your old settings.

Anyhow, I have access to a Uverse 3600 RG that has a static public IP assigned to it, so if you need any further help getting Uverse and UTM (ASG) to cooperate, let me know.  It is a bit of a pain to figure out otherwise [:)]

Sophos Platinum Partner