This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ASG backup & restore, does not err backup & restore

Hi Gents and Lady,

We have an ACC with a sick ASG with limping and inadequate hardware.  Tried the obvious thing - new hardware, install ASG ISO, restore backup, unplug old, plug in new - but ACC did not recognise the new "old" machine and all the ACC based definitions (hosts, PF rules, etc.) were missing on the restored machine. Result put old machine back in with its regular crashes and fails.  

Anyone any experience of doing something like this, please?   I have tried RTFM but it does not seem to cover things like this.  

I was gob-smacked that the ASG backup & restore does not seem to, well, backup and restore in an ACC environment.   

Have we just missed something obvious?

Thanks in advance,

Adrien.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Hakan,

Thankyou for the detailed response.   Would I be right in thinking that the method to swap hardware then is 

1. Install from ISO
    2. Restore backup
    3. Without connecting Astaro to network
        a) find out the GUID it should have by 
        "www.astaro.org/.../39793-asg-backup-restore-does-not-err-backup-restore.html
        b) replace the GUID in /etc/guid by "vi /etc/guid"
    4. Then connect the new Astaro to the network and ACC should pick it up.

I suspect I may have missed out some steps, but is this generally okay?

Thanks in advance,

Adrien.
  • Hi,

@Adrien
    It's OK.

@Bruce
    We haven't had such plans yet. As I mentioned, since V8.2 it is possible
    to restore a backup on a machine other than the backup was created
    on. ACC's backup management makes use of this feature. You can create
    a backup on a particular ASG and roll it out on several other ASG's.

In this case a backup with guid included would reduce the actual meaning
    of a guid, i.e. being a unique identifier, to absurdity. Therefore we would 
    need to thoroughly plan a concept for this.

Feel free to suggest it on feature.astaro.com.

Regards, Hakan
  • Hakan, it's simple -- include a checkbox, etc. on the ACC and / or ASG to allow the import of the GUID during backup restore (or not), similar to the feature now that allows one to strip the hostnames, certs, etc.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• Thankyou.  This worked very well.  We are running on the new VM, without the drama of a reconfiguration. 

Best Regards,
Reply Children
No Data