This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Basic questions ACC

Hi,
I'm new to ACC but not to Astaro ASG.
Some question appear while playing with ACC.

1. It looks like that it is possible to add a new VPN configuration to the ASG. But I can't read the existing configuration. Or did I somthing wrong? Can I really only read the VPN configuration which have been made via ACC?

2. Update of an ASG does work if the update appears locally on the ASG. If new  files are on the ftp server ftp://ftp.astaro.de/pub/ASG/  and the ASG does not recognize it, (even with daily update check), you do need to manaul update the device.

3. Inventory. The serial number is only beeing displayed from the first device of a HA setup. If you logon directly to a HA cluster (Hot Standby mode), you may see both serial numbers.  This might be interesting especially for license and inventory issues.

4. Adding a new network object and deploy to the ASG does work smoothly. However, the object does appear as read-only and can't be edited locally on the ASG. I assume this works as designed.

5. This points me to the last point. The ACC does not run in HA mode. Is there any HA functionality planned?

Best Regards
ciscoman

This thread was automatically locked due to age.

• Hi,
    I'm new to ACC but not to Astaro ASG.
    Some question appear while playing with ACC.

Hi

1. It looks like that it is possible to add a new VPN configuration to the ASG. But I can't read the existing configuration. Or did I somthing wrong? Can I really only read the VPN configuration which have been made via ACC?

This is correct. You can create VPN connection on the ACC, and deploy them to
    the ASG. However, it is not possible to manipulate the ASG configuration
    directly via ACC. Therefore it is not possible to see the VPN on the ASG
    and/or manipulate them.

2. Update of an ASG does work if the update appears locally on the ASG. If new  files are on the ftp server ftp://ftp.astaro.de/pub/ASG/  and the ASG does not recognize it, (even with daily update check), you do need to manaul update the device.

I assume the question is, if this is possible with the ACC as well. There are
    usually fewer ACC updates than there are ASG updates. If at any time there is
    the possbility to fetch ACC updates via ftp, we will make this known to the
    users.

3. Inventory. The serial number is only beeing displayed from the first device of a HA setup. If you logon directly to a HA cluster (Hot Standby mode), you may see both serial numbers.  This might be interesting especially for license and inventory issues.

True. Will will look into that.

4. Adding a new network object and deploy to the ASG does work smoothly. However, the object does appear as read-only and can't be edited locally on the ASG. I assume this works as designed.

Correct. If an object is managed by the ACC, it is managed by the ACC only!
    The object can be used on the ASG as you would any other, but the ACC
    (Maintainer) will have control over those objects

5. This points me to the last point. The ACC does not run in HA mode. Is there any HA functionality planned?

At this point, we are not planning to implement HA for ACC.

Best Regards
    ciscoman
  • Hi

This is correct. You can create VPN connection on the ACC, and deploy them to
    the ASG. However, it is not possible to manipulate the ASG configuration
    directly via ACC. Therefore it is not possible to see the VPN on the ASG
    and/or manipulate them.

At this point, we are not planning to implement HA for ACC.

Hi, 

So,  it looks like there are some drawbacks especially for our szenario. Lets see what the future will show up.

Thanks for feedback.
    ciscoman
  • 1. You can't "import" existing VPN connections. This observation is true.
    2. The updates posted to the ftp server differ from those available via the Up2Date (automatic) infrastructure that is used for checking for updates automatically. Astaro applies a "soft release" policy where updates are tested about 2 weeks before being automatically deployed.
    3. no idea about this.
    4. correct
    5. Ish. You can use two different ACC installations starting with the latest ASG releases which shoud cater for HA. Clustering is however not yet possible with the product. Just go to feature.astaro.com and vote for this one (or suggest it if it's not already been posted there).

Christian