This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wierd Issue with 2.000 to 2.100 Migration

I setup a new VMWare 2.0 Hosted ACC 2.100 installation on one of our production VMWare Servers in anticipation of migrating an ACC installation (2.000) with around 20 attached ASG units (some 7.405, some 7.501, and a couple running 7.502) to it.  Since the originial VMWare Image that Astaro built used a 20GB virtual disk, and even the new one is limited to 30GB, and it seems I need more space, I created a new ACC 2.100 image by hand, using the latest ISO, on a 80GB Virtual Disk.

The install went fine, Gateway Manager and Webadmin worked fine, low load noted.  Then I restored the ACC 2.000 backup to it, rebooted, and the system pegged... load went through the roof, and I couldn't get into either Webadmin or Gateway Manager.  I managed to log into the console, and saw a dozen or more Postrgres processes chewing away at the CPU... is this normal?  Did it have anything to do with the 7.405 units that were still configured, or is there a bug in restoring backups from earlier versions of ACC?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • There might be a higher load when you first start an ACC 2.1 as the devices which are already on AxG 7.501 will send their reporting data to the acc. However that should not result in the Gateway Manager nor the WebAdmin to be inaccessible. 

Is the problem still existing or is it back to normal after some time of operation. If you still have a problem it would be good if you could provide us a ssh/Gateway Manager login for the affected ACC. You can send the login information to acc-support@astaro.com.

Thorsten
  • I gave up for now, went back to the 2.000 VM.  So all the Postgres processes are normal?  I let it run for about an hour, it kept the CPU pegged and I got 500 errors or just plain nothing when trying to access the Webadmin.  Only about 7 or 8 of the devices managed on this box are 7.5xx, the rest were 7.405.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• So all the Postgres processes are normal? 

Yes the number of postgres connections the acc uses is 20. Also after update to 2.1 they are using the most cpu due to all the reporting data that gets send to the ACC.

We have tested here with a very old machine an Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70GHz
    with 1 GB RAM. After the device connected the WebAdmin and Gateway manager where still working without error. It is a bit slower due to the reporting data getting inserted into the database.

What kind of hardware did you setup for your vm?. How is the hardisk performance of you host machine?

Might it be possible for you to setup an ACC 2.1 again on a separate machine and connect the devices to it so we can have a look and find out what is wrong. If so please contact us at acc-support@astaro.de so we can coordinate it.
  • It won't be possible for me to mess with it for a week or so.  The VMWare server this was running on is a pretty fast machine, pleny of ram, Dual Xeon Processors, Ultra160 RAID Array.  I'll experiment some on my own time and and see what I can figure out.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.