This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

[1.900] World map display [CHECKING]

The new ACC 1.900 is great.

However, a couple of feature requests for the map display...

We used to used to use the world map display a lot and would like to do so now with 1.900

1.  Yahoo maps looks awful!  Can we go back to the previous "cloud free earth" image?
2.  Failing that, how about Google Maps?
3.  Failing that, how about letting users choose map display?  You may want to look at support for georeferenced PDF images that are now available.
4.  Could we have a feature to bring up the map display, full screen in a seperate window or something suitable so we can put the image up on "the big board" ?

http://boingboing.net/images/strangelove-board.jpg

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Simon,

thanks for your feedback and for sticking with us and the ACC over the years.

1.  Yahoo maps looks awful!  Can we go back to the previous "cloud free earth" image?
    Is that so? I am bit surprised because the map is much nicer and it definitely has no clouds here in Germany. Could you please explain what exactly do you mean. I have one other reporting where the complaint was that the colors are hurtful to the eyes. The previous worldmap was so limited and it did not allow state-of-the-art zooming capabilities. Using a map provider, we can alleviate all that complexity and use proven technology which is wildly used.

2.  Failing that, how about Google Maps?
    Not an option because of license restrictions.

3. Failing that, how about letting users choose map display? You may want to look at support for georeferenced PDF images that are now available.
    We chose to use an abstraction layer offering all needed basic functionality like navigation and zooming, being able to switch the underlying map provider. We would need to evaluate such an option you proposed.

4. Could we have a feature to bring up the map display, full screen in a seperate window or something suitable so we can put the image up on "the big board" ?
    Right now we can only offer a workaround: Login into another browser window and blow it up full screen. You cannot open or detach a specific window. Although, the data shown there is coupled with the treeview selection the user makes. But we are currently installing a new super-computer which will help us with such a future feature (see screenshot).

Thanks and regards,
    Henning
  • My world map does not show at all.  The icons are there, but no map.

Any suggestions?
  • Hi,

is your ACC allowed to go out to the Internet and download the Yahoo! stuff required for displaying the worldmap?

Cheers,
    Henning
  • It's behind our firewall, and the firewall has an outgoing any|any rule for the ACC.
  • Oh man, silly me ... [:D]

Sorry, what I meant is you need to ensure that your browser is actually allowed to connect to Yahoo! So maybe your workstation/browser system is blocked by the firewall instead?
  • "Would You Like To Play A Game?"

[:)]

I too would like the ability to use custom maps etc... but the Yahoo maps will work for now.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• Whether I connect directly or through the proxy, the Yahoo map does not display, only the icons as previously pictured.
  • BangkokBob: Make sure you have default gateway and DNS setup on the ACC.
  • Hi Simon,

thanks for your feedback and for sticking with us and the ACC over the years.

No problem, it's a good product [:)]  Is that Marcus Henning?

Is that so? I am bit surprised because the map is much nicer and it definitely has no clouds here in Germany. Could you please explain what exactly do you mean. I have one other reporting where the complaint was that the colors are hurtful to the eyes. The previous worldmap was so limited and it did not allow state-of-the-art zooming capabilities. Using a map provider, we can alleviate all that complexity and use proven technology which is wildly used.

Understood, however I tend to agree the colours look bad and dated.

The cloud free map of earth you used to use looked modern.

I realise this must be low down the list of priorities, but really preferred the old map.

Not an option because of license restrictions.

Oh, expensive I am guessing?  Or just not allowed?

We chose to use an abstraction layer offering all needed basic functionality like navigation and zooming, being able to switch the underlying map provider. We would need to evaluate such an option you proposed.

The zoom option isn't really used by us since most of our ASL locations are geographically dispersed.  (Australia, South Africa, Beijing, Vancouver etc)

Right now we can only offer a workaround: Login into another browser window and blow it up full screen. You cannot open or detach a specific window. Although, the data shown there is coupled with the treeview selection the user makes. But we are currently installing a new super-computer which will help us with such a future feature (see screenshot).

Hehe, wargames computer.  My Dell racks bigger than your new(old) supercomputer.

My Dell rack won't launch anything when I turn the cabinet door key though [:(]
    (Tried uploading spam source IP's to geographic net and then hacking the pentagons nuclear target list but my kung fu was too weak).
  • Hi Simon,

I try to cut this short. 

First of all, I am not Markus Hennig. My first name is Henning which contains one more "n" and my last name is completely different [:D]

Regarding the worldmap, how about posting a screenshot of the current worldmap from the ACC V1.9 here? Maybe it looks different in Australia than in Germany? And what do you mean it looks bad and dated? The old worldmap of ACC V1.4 used a pseudo-satellite terrain type view whereas the current one provides streets and stuff.

Regarding Google Maps integration, I am not at the liberty to discuss [:P]

Cheers