This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ACC Cannot Support More than 99 ASG's

ACC is a good monitoring tool.  It provides install information about the remote ASG's Version, Threat, License and Resource information.
However, ACC can only monitor 99 ASG's.  Upon the 100th ASG entry, ACC does not accept the connection and shows the other 99 ASG units offline within the ACC WebAdmin GUI.

In order for ACC to be a via tool, it needs to support well more thatn 99 ASG's.  It should be able to monitor over 1000 ASG's.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I talked to one of the engineers involved in the project... they will be scaling it up as they move along, with some neat new features as well.. this was their first release, and I'm sure part of the reason for it being free is to help get the bugs worked out (more people will load it since it's "free").

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• The current version is limited to 100 devices. So the 101st device should not appear. Anyway all other confirmed devices should not be affected. Please have a look into the logfile /var/log/agent-manager.log. Normally there should be a message called "2006:06:07-15:45:39 (none) agent-manager: agent handler accept blocking as maximum number of confirmed devices has been
    reached".
    Could you please post some hardware details regarding the machine you have ACC installed on? Maybe the system is to small to support 100 devices.

cheers
    Timo
  • Yeah, if you look at the minimum system requirements the RAM is terribly short for managing that many systems.

But I'm amazed that you have 300 Astaro firewalls!  What kind of firm do you work for?
  • Hi,

does the 99 problem persist after having adjusted your system to the minimum requirements? It is recommended to have a 2.4 GHz P4/AMD equivalent system with 512 MB RAM for smooth operation of 50 devices. 

For 100 devices it might be a good idea to spend some extra RAM beyond the 512 MB. CPU horsepower is more critical though, so if you plan on administering 100 devices, you should not fall short of the 2.4 GHz limit - especially when working with several administrators.

Cheers,
    megaposer.
  • I put 512MB in the system.  ACC seams to be more stable (faster response, not as many WebAdmin hangups, Javascript errors, etc).  However, ACC always shows at least 10 ASG units Offline, eventhough they are not truly offline.  

The only way I can get these units back online is to turn off the ACC configuration in these ASG units, delete the ASG unit within ACC, and then re-configure the ASG back into ACC.  I'm not sure if this is a ASG problem or ACC.

I have not yet been able to get 100 units communicating with ACC at one time.
  • If one of the connected ASGs does not answer for a certain time ACC switches it's status to offline. So I assume there is a problem in communication between ACC and some of the ASGs.

How are the ASG's connected to ACC? Is it a slow and highly frequented dial up connection? Or is there anything else which could affect smooth communication between ASGs and ACC?
    On which version are the ASGs?
    Could you please provide some hardware details regarding the connected ASGs? (CPU, RAM)
    Are always the same ASGs offline?

Timo
  • ALl of the ASG's are all on some form of high speed Internet (DSL, CABLE, T1).  These units run from a Celeron 566 MHz / 256 MB RAM to XEON 3.0 GHz / 4 GB RAM.

I have noticed that any of the ASG's from the Celeron's upto the XEON's are showing offline.  Some are only off for a few moments.  Others show to be offline for over a week.
  • On which version are the ASGs?
  • Hi,

could you please check if you had some devices which you permanently disconnected or reinstalled and did not delete from ACC? Such device zombies might be responsible that the maximum of 100 devices is already reached and ACC does not allow further connections.

Cheers,
    megaposer
  • If there are more than 100 devices trying to connect to ACC, ACC will reject connection attempts. This may prevent already confirmed devices from going online. The workaround is to not connect more than 100 devices to ACC. Then all connected devices should be able to connect and to go in status online.

You should see the log entry "2006:06:13-14:45:25 (none) agent-manager: agent handler accept blocking as maximum number of confirmed devices has been reached" at the moment the limit of 100 is reached. Decrease the amount of devices trying to connect to ACC. Then you should not see the log entry any more and all connected devices should go to status online after at least 10 Minutes.

/var/log/agent-manager.log

Timo
  • 93 of them are on 6.202.  2 of them are on 5.212.
  • OK, in this version ASG should automatically reconnect, if connection fails. So the problem must be related to the amount of devices. Please reduce the number of devices trying to connect to ACC to a number lower 100. Then the problem should not occur.

Timo
  • OK, in this version ASG should automatically reconnect, if connection fails. So the problem must be related to the amount of devices. Please reduce the number of devices trying to connect to ACC to a number lower 100. Then the problem should not occur.

Timo
Children
No Data