This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

I do have 34 devices but get the "License usage: EXCEEDING 100% OF USER COUNT on Sophos UTM"

Hello,

I am sorry for this post as there are numerous other posts on this topic but I am stuck. I tried and read all similar posts and still cannot solve my problem.
I use the solution since the good old Astaro times and I have never had a problem like this before.

So what is my problem: I use a Home license and I reach the limit.

Licensed Users/IPs: 50
Counted Users/IPs: 51

I have on my network 34 devices which are visible on the DHCP and on my Fing app (I do have a fingbox on the network).
When I go on the license part of the UTM, I get 51. Why?

So here is what I have already tried:
- Reboot the UTM => no results
- Purge the file /var/chroot-dhcps/var/state/dhcp/dhcpd.leases + restart of the service /var/mdw/scripts/dhcpd restart => no results
- Reduced the DHCP range to 20 IPs => no results
- Change the DHCP lease time to 1 hour => no results

For the troubleshooting, I took all 51 IPs listed in the license tab and tried to match them with my existing devices.
There are few devices I replaced a week ago like old Amazon Echo Dot devices (4 of them) but they are still listed there. Ok.
There are 11 other devices/IPs which are not existing. I suspect the migration to iOS14 (4 iPhones and 3 iPads) created some kind of ghost devices which are consuming the license... but that was a month ago or so. I turned off that feature right away after the upgrade.
So far, I have listed 11 of non existing devices (or IPs if you prefer).

So what can I do to solve that? I want to kick/delete/purge these 11 ghost IPs / devices.
I have seen a solution in another post: perform a factory reset and restore a backup.

Are there any other solutions?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this Slight smile

PO

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi PO

As UTM counts licences (IP usage) across 7 days before a unused licence gets freed again, you might have some visitors/guest devices in your network, or you have intermittent devices in your network, which grabs every time a new IP, as the previous lease might have expired.

Usually it helps, if you lower the DHCP lease time within your network(s) - in particular in highly frequented/dynamic networks as a guest net for example. I usually use at highly dynamic networks as a guest net DHCP leases of 1 hour. That way unused IP's get's freed faster for new clients, and therefor no additional licences will be count.

/Sascha

• Hi
    Thanks for you reply. Yesterday I put the DHCP lease to 3600 seconds to clean a bit and also temporarily reduced the DHCP range to 20 addresses.
    It seems this helped because I went to 43 devices in one day. Still too much but at least I know I am on the right track.
    However this network does not have visitors/guests and not only because it is Corona-time. This network is only for permanent devices like Sonos speakers, TV, voice assistants...
    Thanks a lot for your help!
    PO

• Hi
    Thanks for you reply. Yesterday I put the DHCP lease to 3600 seconds to clean a bit and also temporarily reduced the DHCP range to 20 addresses.
    It seems this helped because I went to 43 devices in one day. Still too much but at least I know I am on the right track.
    However this network does not have visitors/guests and not only because it is Corona-time. This network is only for permanent devices like Sonos speakers, TV, voice assistants...
    Thanks a lot for your help!
    PO

Children
No Data