This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How-to RED/ASG setup for the novice?

I'll be brutally honest...  I know enough to be dangerous when it comes to my ASG 220.  I purchased a RED.  After reading the literature I thought that it would automatically create an extension of my internal network to my remote office.  It does automatically install itself on my ASG but that's about it.

What exactly do I need to do to connect my internal network to the users on my RED?  My ASG 220 is running firmware 7.506.

I have a Windows server running a DHCP server to provide the address range of 10.0.0.x for my internal network.  If possible, I'd like to have the RED users on the 10.0.10.x range.  Through the basic RED setup, I see that it did create a DHCP server with that range.  I'd like to keep it that way if possible.

I tried the instructions here...

https://support.astaro.com/support/index.php/Same_network_on_RED_and_LAN

...but I ran into a couple of problems.  I can't bridge my internal network (eth0) and the red interface.  I'm guessing that's because eth0 is already in use.  I did try bridging an unused interface, et7, and the RED.  I then ran a  network cable to the same switch that et0 was connected to.  That kind of worked but not very well.  The transfer rate meters on the Astaro dashboard didn't work while doing a file transfer test.  Also the file transfer was pretty slow.  I also wasn't able to access the internet through the RED.  Plus, that seems like a hacked way of doing things.  I'd rather not waste an interface if I don't have to.

So how do I properly set up the RED to seamlessly connect to my internal network and the internet?

Thanks for your help and your time.

BP

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • OK, I've got internet working.  I cloned my internal rules in the packet filter and made the RED network the source.  I also added the RED network to the NAT masquerading.

So how do I get the RED network talking to my internal network?

I tried a static route, interface route between the RED network and the internal network.  Yeah, that didn't work.

Thanks again in advance for any help.
  • OK, I've got internet working.  I cloned my internal rules in the packet filter and made the RED network the source.  I also added the RED network to the NAT masquerading.

So how do I get the RED network talking to my internal network?

I tried a static route, interface route between the RED network and the internal network.  Yeah, that didn't work.

Thanks again in advance for any help.
Children
No Data