This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DNS Routing for Internal Hosts

Hello,

We have 3 RED networks (working in split mode) which include multiple windows hosts. The users RDP into those windows hosts. Everything works however, we want to be able to assign hostnames to our hosts so that users don't have to remember the IP addresses of each host and can simple type in the hostnames in the RDP app to log in.

We have configured the UTM in the following manner:

1. Under Network Services > DNS > Global Settings > We have included all our internal networks (i.e. all the RED networks) in the allowed networks
  2. Under Network Services > DNS > Forwarders > We have added Google DNS (8.8.8.8) as the host and have unchecked "User forwarders assigned by ISP"
  3. Under Network Services > DHCP > The DNS for each interface is set to be its own address (for example - 20.20.20.1 RED has the DNS set as 20.20.20.1)
  4. Under Definitions and Users > Network Definitions > For each host definition, we have specified a unique hostname under the DNS section

As per our understanding, this should work. However, when users type in the hostnames in the RDP app, the REDs are not able to resolve its IP address.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Prakhar,

did you set an entry for your domain in the "Request Routing" tab?

You need to put in your local DNS Server just like this:

after that, the devices behind the REDs should be able to resolve DNS requests (you need to specify your domain, just "srv-test" does not work you need to type "srv-test.test.local")

Let me know if that helped you.

Regards,

Ole

• Hi Prakhar,

did you set an entry for your domain in the "Request Routing" tab?

You need to put in your local DNS Server just like this:

after that, the devices behind the REDs should be able to resolve DNS requests (you need to specify your domain, just "srv-test" does not work you need to type "srv-test.test.local")

Let me know if that helped you.

Regards,

Ole

Children
  • Hello Ole,

We currently don't have any internal DNS servers. Like I mentioned earlier, we are using Google DNSs as our forwarders and internal "networks" as recursive DNS servers.

Do we need an internal DNS server to be able to achieve what we want to? We assumed that simple providing hostnames to our network definitions will do the job. Can you, kindly, explain this a bit further?

Thanks!

• Hello Prakhar,

you will indeed need an internal DNS to be able to resolve hostnames from your RED networks.

The DNS service of the UTM does not provide an own DNS server.

If you only use Google DNS the requests will be send to Google and while the requested name is no FQDN, you won't get a response.

The UTM does not resolve hostnames in network definitions, it can only resolve FQDNs of machines. For example if you have an internal DNS and try to resolve the name Workstation-Test you won't get a response. You need to resolve machines like this: Workstation-Test.domain.local

Summary: yes, you will need to set up an internal DNS server

(I hope my english wasn't too bad :) )

Regards,

Ole