This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Disable Interface on timer

I want to effectively turn off any connection  internet between certain hours. At first I thought that a firewall rule with a drop any kind of rule with a time period would be able to do this. However I have a web protection as well and it appears from other threads including rulz that the proxy overrides any such manual firewall rules. (I've go to say this makes no sense to me but...)

Other threads suggest a DNAT blackhole. I tried this with a small measure of success but not much and these rules don't appear to be able to be put on timer. 

If I disable the internal interface that certainly works. It is brute force method and I can live with it as it certainly does the trick but is there any way I can do this between certain hours? Specifically I want it to turn off at midnight and come back at 6:30AM.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Thanks Scott.  The interface turn off is brute force and would result in other scheduled tasks stopping. However I still would have thought there was a need to for fairly comprehensive blocking in other business situations including schools and so forth.
    As for the soft approach setting of rules I will go with this. I appreciate the advice that goes beyond the technical aspect of the system :-)
    However I do really want to be able to back that up with some system enforcement too. In practice the number of situations and proliferation of portable devices that create tempting and addicting distractions to a sleep/work/play  schedule are enormous. Sometimes it is easier for everyone to be able to actually remove the option.

If there was any ways to achieve it I would really like to understand them.
  • Hi, jammers, and a belated welcome to the UTM Community!

Scott's suggestion requires using /usr/local/bin/confd-client.plx instead of cc in a cron job.

Cheer - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi, jammers, and a belated welcome to the UTM Community!

Scott's suggestion requires using /usr/local/bin/confd-client.plx instead of cc in a cron job.

Cheer - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data