This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Netflix - I'm really stumped

After months of troubleshooting, we have finally traced all our Netflix problems to the Sophos UTM firewall.

We have a Samsung Smart TV. We stream Netflix to it.  We have run the whole house through Sophos UTM for the whole time, nearly 2 years.  It has been 100% rock solid until December 2014. Suddenly Netflix started throwing an error "tvp-811 we’re having trouble playing this title right now."

We tried everything.  I spent over 15 hours on the phone both with Samsung and Netflix engineers.  We reflashed the firmware on the tv, reinstalled the netflix app, changed it to another country, in short, we did EVERYTHING.  Nothing got rid of the error.  Samsung and Netflix support gave up.

In desperation, I rigged a cable down to the TV and bypassed the Sophos firewall.  Amazingly, the error went away.  I could stream a video for over 30 minutes with no error.  I reconnected Sophos back and the error immediately returned.

Then I started disabling options in Sophos.  I turned off QOS, Application Control, Advanced threat protection, everything I could find.  In each case, the netflix stream continued to die in 2 - 7 minutes.

I have spent months on this issue.  I am out of ideas. Again, Netflix worked before for years, until an update (I don't know exactly which one) from Sophos.  Now it is unusable.  We are currently on 9.305-4.

I have no rules blocking the TV.  It is pass-through, wide open, no blocking of any kind.

Another thing.  This only affects Netflix.  Everything else works, like YouTube, Amazon streaming, etc.  If I bypass Sophos, everything is good again.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Netflix+Sophos users,

I just had a frustrating phone call with Sophos Tech Support about a "How to pattern for Netflix traffic, specifically."

I see the Rule exceptions above and perhaps that is A workable answer.

What I'm really as interested in is more than just A workable answer .... more a workable pattern for Netflix that can be adopted by 100's perhaps 100,000s of "admins" for Sophos UTMs and Appliances that minimize trouble.

I'm wondering if anyone has even found the right forum to answer this kind of question.... Is this the right forum? Do others that may find my plea have a better forum or way to communicate about working together to not reinvent a wheel like this one..... I my mind the issue must effect virtually every Sophos UTM in the world, as Netflix use is about the largest single percentage of traffic in the world.

Idea's? IRC Channel with a FAQ Wiki for Design Patterns for Sophos UTM rules for particular use cases of which Netflix is a huge one.
  • Hello Netflix+Sophos users,

I just had a frustrating phone call with Sophos Tech Support about a "How to pattern for Netflix traffic, specifically."

I see the Rule exceptions above and perhaps that is A workable answer.

What I'm really as interested in is more than just A workable answer .... more a workable pattern for Netflix that can be adopted by 100's perhaps 100,000s of "admins" for Sophos UTMs and Appliances that minimize trouble.

I'm wondering if anyone has even found the right forum to answer this kind of question.... Is this the right forum? Do others that may find my plea have a better forum or way to communicate about working together to not reinvent a wheel like this one..... I my mind the issue must effect virtually every Sophos UTM in the world, as Netflix use is about the largest single percentage of traffic in the world.

Idea's? IRC Channel with a FAQ Wiki for Design Patterns for Sophos UTM rules for particular use cases of which Netflix is a huge one.
Children
No Data