This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Problem with QOS bandwidth limiting

We have an Astaro V7 at our HQ, remote sites attached via VPN (not necessarily having astaro at their end).
We have a WSUS server at HQ and WSUS proxies at the remote sites, which regularly sync their data from HQ.
In order not to flood possibly small remote site uplinks, I wanted to cap bandwidth for such syncing to 100kbps.

For this I configured two Traffic Selectors:
HQ-WSUS -> Any -> Any
and
Any -> Any -> HQ-WSUS
I added a bandwidth pool to "Internet" interface with guaranteed 10kbps and upper bandwidth 100kpbs and both traffic selectors checked and enabled it ("green").

It seems that this does not work (I have an ongoing synchronization at a permanent rate of about 130kBps, i.e. about 10 times the allowed speed or the full bandwidth of that tiny remote link).

Do I need to enable global bandwidth limitations for my interfaces (under Network -> Quality of Service (QoS) -> Status) for things to work? I tried so, but no change.

I tried to add a bandwitdh pool to "Internal" interface with same settings and selectors, but this does not change anything, either.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I know this isn't exactly what was asked, but Astaro added new Auto QoS features in 7.500, which are pretty cool.

Now, under QoS settings per interface, there are two new checkboxes to enable:
    Download Equalizer:  If enabled, Stochastic Fairness Queuing (SFQ) and Random Early Detection (RED) queuing algorithms will avoid network congestion. In case the configured downlink speed is reached, packets from the most downlink consuming stream will be dropped.
    Upload Optimizer: If enabled, this option will automatically prioritize outgoing TCP connection establishments (TCP packets with SYN flag set), acknowledgment packets of TCP connections (TCP packets with ACK flag set and a packet length between 40 and 60 bytes) and DNS lookups (UDP packets on port 53). 

I've played with these, and they make a HUGE difference on the overall performance when your pipe becomes congested. Worth taking a look at - especially if your connection ever hits 100% usage. You just need enable it on any external interfaces to see a difference.
  • I know this isn't exactly what was asked, but Astaro added new Auto QoS features in 7.500, which are pretty cool.

Now, under QoS settings per interface, there are two new checkboxes to enable:
    Download Equalizer:  If enabled, Stochastic Fairness Queuing (SFQ) and Random Early Detection (RED) queuing algorithms will avoid network congestion. In case the configured downlink speed is reached, packets from the most downlink consuming stream will be dropped.
    Upload Optimizer: If enabled, this option will automatically prioritize outgoing TCP connection establishments (TCP packets with SYN flag set), acknowledgment packets of TCP connections (TCP packets with ACK flag set and a packet length between 40 and 60 bytes) and DNS lookups (UDP packets on port 53). 

I've played with these, and they make a HUGE difference on the overall performance when your pipe becomes congested. Worth taking a look at - especially if your connection ever hits 100% usage. You just need enable it on any external interfaces to see a difference.
Children
No Data