This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Traceroute only shows 2 hops

Hello, 

Seems to have a strange issue, I had this for a while, but never got around to fully troubleshoot. I used to be able to do tracert no issues from windows PC and from NIX* machines. I usually used MTR from nix machines... bit lately I only see 2 hops, my Astaro which is Gateway, and then the destination, nothing in the middle to do any kind of troubleshooting.....

I checked the ICMP settings and they are what they always were, Global = "Allow ICMP trough gateway", Ping setting = "Ping from gateway" and "Gateway forwards pings", tracert settings = "Gateway forwards traceroute", pinging from the astaro shows me all the needed hops, Im not sure what I`m doing wrong or how this stopped working, but what can I do now to get it fixed ?

Please help TIA !

Host Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev
1. 192.168.1.1 0.0% 4 0.4 0.4 0.3 0.5 0.1
2. 172.217.10.14 0.0% 4 3.2 3.2 2.1 3.9 0.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
  • Hello,

Checked all the logs, and I dont see anything strange... I think it is ICMP related as linux UDP traceroute seem to work, altho showing a lot of *** in the middle.

I cant understand whats wrong with my ICMP setting, or when did it go wrong, this used to work just fine.... 

• If it works with UDP and from the command line on the UTM and you're not seeing blocks in the Firewall log, then I'd suspect something outside your control.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Just very strange that something would be doing this, now that i`m thinking about it, the command line on UTM it self is using UDP also, I`m going to try with ICMP and see if it does it, I did have an upgrade to FIOS gigabit, with a new ONT installed, maybe its blocking ICMP, just find it very strange... 

Thank you for your help

• Might of found it, interesting that its not published more, but basically its with in FIOS, 1 hop pass my ONT. Anyway, thank you again. 

• It's currently a known issue on Verizon's network and normally trace routes will show all hops. There's no ETA on when it's going to be fixed but rumor is it's related to IPv6 being rolled out.

• FInally Found that Info... I didnt get IPv6 rolled out either, or sophos is not picking up an address (ipv6 is on)....

Love it, how verizon is just able to do what they want.