This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VOIP phones on RED 50 dropping dial tone to UTM 9.5

Having a pretty persistent issue that's been driving me nuts.  We run UTM 9.5 at the main site and have a RED 50 device at a remote site (Standard/Unified).  Starting last week, we've been randomly losing the dial tone on phones.  

Checking the firewall logs, if the dial tone is out, we'll see tons of UDP traffic going from the phone (192.168.x.x) to the the call server (10.0.x.x).  When the dial tone is working, we don't see any traffic on the firewall...

Phones have worked in the past, but i'm wondering if there is some sort of configuration tip I'm potentially missing.  Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • There are a lot of variables. You have to give more details of your configuration.

Show you firewall rules related to that traffic. Maybe one or two lines of the log. And last but not least do you have information about your voip traffic?

Is it normally not UDP traffic? Could be RTSP or whatever.

Best

Alex

-

• Thanks for the reply.  Right now we are using H.323 for phone calls at the remote site using RED.  The H.323 settings is configured to use the internal address of the phone server as the gatekeeper, and the remote network as the client.  For firewall rules, we are allowing any traffic between the phones and the phone system at the main site.  NAT Masquerading is enabled from the remote network to the internal network.  I'll attach a couple screenshots of the logs we see when the phones aren't getting a dial tone.

It's odd since the phones will work sometimes, and not at other times.  I've tried configuring QoS settings to grant bandwidth pools to the phones, but didn't have much success.  

• Hey pittpens18,

thank you for this info. But I have to confess, I don't have an appropriate idea for this problem. Strange thing is, you get the log entries with fwrule value 60020 only if the problem is present?
    So maybe the packets travel other way while it works, sounds strange I know. I don't have too much experience with the H.323 setting, but would it work without this setting? Just your phones communicate with the phone server, that's all. You had already allowed traffic through firewall rules, right?

Best regards
    Alex

-

• Hey pittpens18,

thank you for this info. But I have to confess, I don't have an appropriate idea for this problem. Strange thing is, you get the log entries with fwrule value 60020 only if the problem is present?
    So maybe the packets travel other way while it works, sounds strange I know. I don't have too much experience with the H.323 setting, but would it work without this setting? Just your phones communicate with the phone server, that's all. You had already allowed traffic through firewall rules, right?

Best regards
    Alex

-

Children
No Data