This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

IPv6 broken

I run a UTM and have had stable, native ipv6 across 3 internal vlans for quite some time. However, after some of the recent firmware updates, the UTM now refuses to connect the wan interface via ipv6. Nothing else has changed, my utm config has been stable for some time, but after any reconnection of the wan interface for any reason (manual reconnect, reboot, reboot after firmware update, ISP blip, etc) I lose all internet connectivity.

Looking at my interfaces, all Lan interfaces show ipv6 addresses correctly but the wan interface simply won't pick up its address....to the point where the interface is shown as DOWN and there is no connectivity whatsoever across ipv6 or ipv4.

A combination of black magic, wearing yellow underpants and chanting seems to bring it back....seriously it's some unknown combination of forcing the connection to reset, rebooting the UTM and disabling/enabling ipv6 will bring it back. But only until the connection resets and then boom, no internet again.

I've been forced to disable ipv6 permanently on my network because this is a massive issue. Other similar sounding posts talk about having to rebuild the wan interface but that's a massive job, isn't it?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I start from scratch, clean install UTM and then reload my current config or will that not help? Any help would be appreciated as it's a real pain as it currently stands.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi,

how did you get the file onto the UTM, putty or something similar?

Sorry guys been playing on the XG too much. Have to find some software for the mac.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Hi,

interesting exercise, but eventually remembered all the processes to make it happen.

Using PPPoE no connection even though all the details are in the IPv6 config display. Restarted UTM and modem. Changed modem also no connections.

Changed the UTM to use DHCP only and it receives a delegated /56 and a external network address, further it passes the whatismy IPv6 address testing.

This is similar to what I was finding on the XG except the XG never connected or published a delegated /56 address.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• Now, IPv6 is broken and stops external connections.

I will rebuild the UTM tomorrow.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• 9.503 seemed to have many bugs, so I would upgrade to 9.504 or 9.505  before testing again.

• Hi Douglas,

currently running 9.505. Before I converted this box to XG, IPv6 worked very well. I have some older builds on disk, I will try them, but then the restore backup becomes an issue.

ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• Have you tried turning IPv6 off and on again in the interfaces area?  That worked for me.

Strange as whenever I reboot at the moment, I have to turn both IPv6 and L2TP off and on for it to function.

Tim Grantham

Enterprise Architect & Business owner

• Hi,

thank you for the suggestion. I had done that a couple of times with no positive result. I tried again this morning and all is going well. Though the setup is not ideal, because I have to use thew ISP router to get DHCP assigned addressing, the UTM PPPOE does not work. So my advertised IPv6 address is actually the external interface of the UTM connection to the router/modem.

Ian

Update, spoke to soon. Disable IPv6 to get internet access.

Further update. Reverted to PPPOE with IPv6, all is working and I am not restarting anything.

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• I give up for the moment.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• Okay folks,

I rebuilt the UTM from a 9.409 disk I have. Waited until all the updates and up2date patterns had finished downloading.

Restored a 9.411 backup because that is as far back as I go. Ran IPv6 a nuber of times trying different scenarios and no it did not work.

Let the up2date versions run to completion, no 9.505 at this stage and still IPv6 does not work. Installed 9.505 and still no IPv6 connections.

The same issue every time no internet connections when IPv6 is enabled even though all the fields have valid data.

When is Sophos going to address this bug they introduced sometime before v9.409.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• Great updates, glad to see it's not just me! Am I right in reading that all versions of Sophos home software doesn't do PPPoE based IPv6 anymore....i.e. it's broken on UTM and XG? I was toying with the idea of upgrading to the XG but if it doesn't work there either then there's not much point.