This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

[INFO-152] Network Monitor not running - restarted

Been receiving a few webadmin info-152 e-mails from the UTM
Did a dmesg...

[1123325.232580] nwd[10968]: segfault at 2e323931 ip 000000002e323931 sp 00000000ffd900c0 error 14

Current software version...: 9.310009
Hardware type..............: Software Appliance
Installation image.........: 9.308-16.1
Installation type..........: asg
Installed pattern version..: 78536
Downloaded pattern version.: 78536
Up2Dates applied...........: 2 (see below)
                             sys-9.308-9.309-16.3.1.tgz (Mar 15 19:20)
                             sys-9.309-9.310-3.9.4.tgz (Mar 27 05:29)
Up2Dates available.........: 1
Factory resets.............: 0
Timewarps detected.........: 1

Any ideas?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • 9.314 is not released yet.  Still have some other fixes to go into that one.  Give it a few weeks.  If you have a paid license, open up a support case and they MIGHT be able to apply a point patch on your system for ID34945.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • Running on 

9.408-4

now.

Still getting Mails about every hour.

Any advice?

• Hi, and welcome to the UTM Community!

What email?  Is it always the same one?  What happens if you Up2Date to 9.411?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hello,

yes it's always the same Mail: 

Content:

-------------------------------------------------
    Network Monitor not running - restarted

--

System Uptime      : 133 days 6 hours 1 minute

System Load        : 0.23

System Version     : Sophos UTM 9.408-4

Please refer to the manual for detailed instructions.

-------------------------------------------------

Didn't try that update now, but since we are facing this Problem since about 5 months now, I don't think the "latest" Update 
    will cause any change...

best,

daniel.

• ps.: It's the sophos SG310 - if that might have any impact on the problem.

• The first thing I would try is to restore a configuration backup made before this problem started.  If that stops the issue, then you can conclude that some process, maybe an Up2Date, damaged the configuration database.  You will need to decide if you want to modify the old configuration or restore the new one and wait for Sophos Support to fix this issue.  I don't expect that that will have been the problem though and that you'll need to follow Scott Klassen's prescription...

If that didn't work, Sophos Support will surely ask you to re-image your SG, but you will want them to have a look at your SG first.  The following process will delete all of your logs, reporting and graphs, so be sure to get what you need before trying this:

1. Get several recent backups off the UTM and copy the most-recent one into the root directory of a FAT32-formatted USB memory stick..
    2. Download the hardware ISO from the Sophos site and burn it to a DVD.
    3. It should take under 10 minutes to complete the following and be up-and-running again:
      • re-image the UTM from ISO (boot the UTM with a USB optical drive containing the DVD)
      • reboot the UTM with the memory stick in place to restore the backup

Please let us know your result.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks for your reply. 

Restoring "Backups" before this Problem is not an option. This would remove about 5 months of configuration done on the unit,
    while the outcome is undetermined.

Just noted that the appliance is running since 130 days, which almost matches the date when the problems started. 
    So, I'll try a "simple" reboot, first and postback tomorrow.

• Make a new backup before you try the restore.  After the old version gives you your answer, restore the new backup you just made.

Trying the reboot is a great idea!

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Sorry, I'm not going to try the "restore". 

My customer is NOT paying for the throwaway of about 40 hours of work that have been put into configuration overall - just to get rid of some unwanted Emails! 

There IS a predictable reason why Emails are send by the system. (At least I hope so) - so there MUSST be a reliable way to fix the Problem without doing some childish' reset (or set-back) of the whole system!

Remember: We are not talking about some sort of "Free-Ware" here, we are talking about an appliance worth a serious amount of bucks.

But let's wait, what the reboot will cause. :-)

best,

daniel.

• Sorry, I'm not going to try the "restore". 

My customer is NOT paying for the throwaway of about 40 hours of work that have been put into configuration overall - just to get rid of some unwanted Emails! 

There IS a predictable reason why Emails are send by the system. (At least I hope so) - so there MUSST be a reliable way to fix the Problem without doing some childish' reset (or set-back) of the whole system!

Remember: We are not talking about some sort of "Free-Ware" here, we are talking about an appliance worth a serious amount of bucks.

But let's wait, what the reboot will cause. :-)

best,

daniel.

Children
No Data