This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ipv6 prefix delegation over pppoe

Hi,

I'm trying to get ipv6 working.
The dutch provider xs4all gives each end-user a /48 prefix ip addres space.
When I connect to this provider with a Linux box or fritzbox , it seems that I get a /64 prefix delegated for the lan.

However , with UTM , I can't get it working.

I tried with two recent versions of the software appliance

asg-9.109-1.1
asg-9.200-11.1

They're currently running on a esxi5.1 platform.

When using asg-9.109-1.1 , I get sometimes a /48 prefix delegated (visible in the ipv6 menu) but nothing is delegated to the lan interface , even I enter :: in it, or another address in the delegated subnet.

When using asg-9.200-11.1 , i'm getting no delegation at all. 

Of course the automatic renumbering is active in both cases.

In all tests i've taken the time to timeout the previous delegation of the provider.

In all tests i've tested with two different wan setups. With or without VDSL active (just with or without vlan tag).
The behaviour is the same both are working fine with ip4v , and not with ipv6 pd.

I'm able to provide required logging whenever needed.

Kind regards,

Roel

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi,

That is how my system looks actually, will send a screenshot later today or tomorrow.  I agree the masquerading shouldn't be necessary because we don't need NAT through IPV6.

How does your setup work now in respect of IPV4, is the Lancom doing the routing now and the UTM feeds off that?  Do you have multiple public IPV4 addresses, or using double NAT for the IPV4? I want to avoid double NAT if possible which is why I want to stick with the PPPOE bridge.

I did have a very strange issue yesterday in that I wasn't getting IPV6 connectivity, but was getting handed out IPV6 DNS servers.  Strangely the only thing to cure this was rebooting the AP100 - something I have to do now and again anyway for another strange reason which is under investigation separately.

Thanks.
    Andrew.
  • Hi,

That is how my system looks actually, will send a screenshot later today or tomorrow.  I agree the masquerading shouldn't be necessary because we don't need NAT through IPV6.

How does your setup work now in respect of IPV4, is the Lancom doing the routing now and the UTM feeds off that?  Do you have multiple public IPV4 addresses, or using double NAT for the IPV4? I want to avoid double NAT if possible which is why I want to stick with the PPPOE bridge.

I did have a very strange issue yesterday in that I wasn't getting IPV6 connectivity, but was getting handed out IPV6 DNS servers.  Strangely the only thing to cure this was rebooting the AP100 - something I have to do now and again anyway for another strange reason which is under investigation separately.

Thanks.
    Andrew.
Children
  • i am actually in the process of replacing my UTM at home in favor of a hardware Router of a german manufactor. I only kept the UTM running at home because i use it heavily at work, but since stuff like IPv6 is getting more important i'd like to be able to use it properly without double NAT. Also the Hardware Router has a smaller power consumption and for those few PCs and devices at my home its perfectly suitable.

One thing about that Prefix: You might have old values there from a previous connected Router to that port! The Sophos UTM doesn't phase out those old values until new ones get imported or the interface is deleted and recreated.