This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VLAN setup on Sophos UTM 9 with Cisco SG500 layer 3 switch

Hi,

I am new to the forum, so I apologize in advance in case of writing smth stupid.

Our goal, is to create 3 VLANs and seperate the networks between different departements.

VLAN1 (which is the default VLAN in the switch) - will be used for IT department and the management.

VLAN100 - will be used for business .

VLAN200 - will be used for guests who need to connect to the internet through WiFi.

I have created VLAN100 and VLAN200, and VLAN1 is there by default.

I want to use port 13 for VLAN200 and to connect the Wifi access-point there.

The uplink is in port 25.

I did plenty of reading on forums but did not come up to a final useful result.

As BAIfson has pointed out in his answer here: https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/29039

There are to approaches for setting up VLANs in a given network, 

1) leave the router to do the routing
2) the layer 3 switch does the routing

I came across this post here: Sophos UTM VLAN Interfaces & Routing on a stick | Network Guy
In my opinion here the router is doing the routing and not the Layer 3 switch? Am I wrong? Can someone please confirm.

When looking at the posts in different forums, to achieve the case where the Layer 3 switch does the routing, something like "allowing multiple subnets in a single interface" has to be done in the router. How can I achieve this with the Sophos UTM 9?

What is the best practice for my scenario? And how can I achieve it?

Best regards,
D

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Nemo,

The case when the layer 3 switch does the routing seems like a better practice, as it takes away some of the load from the UTM router? right? Wouldn't it be nice to cover that case for your blog [:P]... that would solve my issue as well [:D]
  • Hi Nemo,

The case when the layer 3 switch does the routing seems like a better practice, as it takes away some of the load from the UTM router? right? Wouldn't it be nice to cover that case for your blog [:P]... that would solve my issue as well [:D]
Children
No Data