This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VLAN setup on Sophos UTM 9 with Cisco SG500 layer 3 switch

Hi,

I am new to the forum, so I apologize in advance in case of writing smth stupid.

Our goal, is to create 3 VLANs and seperate the networks between different departements.

VLAN1 (which is the default VLAN in the switch) - will be used for IT department and the management.

VLAN100 - will be used for business .

VLAN200 - will be used for guests who need to connect to the internet through WiFi.

I have created VLAN100 and VLAN200, and VLAN1 is there by default.

I want to use port 13 for VLAN200 and to connect the Wifi access-point there.

The uplink is in port 25.

I did plenty of reading on forums but did not come up to a final useful result.

As BAIfson has pointed out in his answer here: https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/29039

There are to approaches for setting up VLANs in a given network, 

1) leave the router to do the routing
2) the layer 3 switch does the routing

I came across this post here: Sophos UTM VLAN Interfaces & Routing on a stick | Network Guy
In my opinion here the router is doing the routing and not the Layer 3 switch? Am I wrong? Can someone please confirm.

When looking at the posts in different forums, to achieve the case where the Layer 3 switch does the routing, something like "allowing multiple subnets in a single interface" has to be done in the router. How can I achieve this with the Sophos UTM 9?

What is the best practice for my scenario? And how can I achieve it?

Best regards,
D

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • In UTM you can create multiple VLAN interfaces on a single physical interface. You have to connect such a port to a switch that has all those VLAN's as tagged (untagged is not supported by UTM).
    BTW VLAN1 is used by the UTM itself, it's better to choose another VLAN for your equipment.

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• In UTM you can create multiple VLAN interfaces on a single physical interface. You have to connect such a port to a switch that has all those VLAN's as tagged (untagged is not supported by UTM).
    BTW VLAN1 is used by the UTM itself, it's better to choose another VLAN for your equipment.

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

Children
No Data