This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to Trunk Ports?

Hello There!

We are using a UTM425 Device and all ports are being used. We need to extend thge bandwith on some networks/VLANs and so this question comes up:

How can I trunk multiple ports to use it as a logical "bigger" line? Similar to HP switches and uplink ports in example.

Thank you in advance!
Uwe

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Okay, I successfully converted the UTM's interfaces yesterday!

Thank you very much for the LACP hint! Indeed the Procurve Switch only works with LA while having LACP activated which is not the default option when trunking ports in the config menu. But it's possible on the CLI (see link above, last post).

Also you have to take care and reconfigure many settings: whatever you do, take screenshots before. It tremendously helps afterwards! ;-)

All firewall rules including an interface object will be deleted. DHCP, DNS, NAT, Masquerading, Web Filter Profiles, SSL VPN remote Access... all that has to be reviewed and recreated in most cases. I just want to let you know in case someone else wants to try it. 

By the way we have the v. 9.103-5 installed (firmware).

QUESTION:

I probably need to configure QoS. I created the link aggregation because we will use BYOD for hundreds of students in our school in a couple of weeks. currently the WLAN VLANs only used one eth-interface on the UTM. That was too low in bandwith. Now I set it up to handle many other VLANs with these 4x 1Gbit.

I wonder that when someone creates a lot of traffic (i.e. in one of the WLAN VLANs) in the future - how I can "safe" the bandwith for the other VLANs? Or is there an even more effective way to manage/supervise that?
  • Okay, I successfully converted the UTM's interfaces yesterday!

Thank you very much for the LACP hint! Indeed the Procurve Switch only works with LA while having LACP activated which is not the default option when trunking ports in the config menu. But it's possible on the CLI (see link above, last post).

Also you have to take care and reconfigure many settings: whatever you do, take screenshots before. It tremendously helps afterwards! ;-)

All firewall rules including an interface object will be deleted. DHCP, DNS, NAT, Masquerading, Web Filter Profiles, SSL VPN remote Access... all that has to be reviewed and recreated in most cases. I just want to let you know in case someone else wants to try it. 

By the way we have the v. 9.103-5 installed (firmware).

QUESTION:

I probably need to configure QoS. I created the link aggregation because we will use BYOD for hundreds of students in our school in a couple of weeks. currently the WLAN VLANs only used one eth-interface on the UTM. That was too low in bandwith. Now I set it up to handle many other VLANs with these 4x 1Gbit.

I wonder that when someone creates a lot of traffic (i.e. in one of the WLAN VLANs) in the future - how I can "safe" the bandwith for the other VLANs? Or is there an even more effective way to manage/supervise that?
Children
No Data