This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

e mail notifications getting bounced

all my  e mail notifications are getting bounced. I am using yahoo plus e mail and it was working great for a long time. I reinstalled the Astaro software and then it worked just once or twice and then all following notifications are getting bounced. I also tried my  msn email and the same problem.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I'll admit I'm still unclear where you're seeing that bounce message.  Could you please spell out what you're clicking on to get to it?

As for your Admin notifications log, I don't even see it trying to send an email notification.  In contrast, here's what I see in mine:

2010:05:13-09:39:55 astaro notifier[2947]:  INFO: #------------------   notification start  -------------------#
    2010:05:13-09:39:55 astaro notifier[2947]:  INFO: #-- Received notification request for INFO-005
    2010:05:13-09:39:55 astaro notifier[2947]:  INFO: trap: status off or no trapsinks configured
    2010:05:13-09:39:55 astaro notifier[2947]:  INFO: == sending notfication via mail!
    2010:05:13-09:39:58 astaro notifier[2947]:  INFO: #-- Success: sent notification INFO-005!

2010:05:13-09:39:58 astaro notifier[2947]:  INFO: #------------------   notification end    -------------------#
    2010:05:13-11:56:57 astaro notifier[2947]:  INFO: #------------------   notification start  -------------------#
    2010:05:13-11:56:57 astaro notifier[2947]:  INFO: #-- Received notification request for INFO-005
    2010:05:13-11:56:57 astaro notifier[2947]:  INFO: trap: status off or no trapsinks configured
    2010:05:13-11:56:57 astaro notifier[2947]:  INFO: == sending notfication via mail!
    2010:05:13-11:57:00 astaro notifier[2947]:  INFO: #-- Success: sent notification INFO-005!

2010:05:13-11:57:00 astaro notifier[2947]:  INFO: #------------------   notification end    -------------------#
  • Ah, ok, now I understand where you're seeing the message.  (Bob, it's Mail Security -> Mail Manager -> Open Mail Manager in new window -> double-click on a bounced message in the log.)

However, what you're pasting here for us to see is only the first hundred or so characters which are visible when you initially open the message view window.  The important information, which actually tells us why the message was bounced, is off-screen to the right; you need to use the scroll bar at the bottom of the window to see it.

Give that a try.  If you still can't figure it out, copy and paste the entire message here for us to take a look at.
  • please provide all the info like requested by other folks here trying to help you. Something is different than before. Othewrwise we cannot help.[;)]

Thanks

Mick

Wink

• Sorry, I didn't notices that there was more and I have to scroll to the right and now I see that yahoo considers this spam....

2010-05-13 23:58:31 ***x@yahoo.com R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host b.mx.mail.yahoo.com [74.6.136.65]: 553 5.7.1 [BL21] Connections will not be accepted from (IP), because the ip is in Spamhaus's list; see http://postmaster.yahoo.com/550-bl23.html
  • Sorry, I didn't notices that there was more and I have to scroll to the right and now I see that yahoo considers this spam....

2010-05-13 23:58:31 ***x@yahoo.com R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host b.mx.mail.yahoo.com [74.6.136.65]: 553 5.7.1 [BL21] Connections will not be accepted from (IP), because the ip is in Spamhaus's list; see http://postmaster.yahoo.com/550-bl23.html
    More correctly, Yahoo doesn't consider that message to be spam, but considers you to be a spammer.  This can happen if you're running a mail server on a regular residential ISP connection.  You might want to head over to spamhaus.org and check which of their lists you're on; they provide a means of appeal if you've been incorrectly listed or have addressed the problems that got you listed in the first place.  If it is because you're on the Spamhaus PBL, then you can sometimes get around it by using your ISP's regular outbound SMTP server as a relay or smarthost.
  • I never ran a mail server and I think this problem started the day I switched ISP's and somehow the IP's that I  get assigned are on the blacklist. How can I set it up to use a different server? I am paying for yahoo plus mail and don't use my ISP's mail server.
  • Spamhaus - Blocklist Removal Center

The IP address from which you are posting is indeed on the PBL, so as Jetkins already has advised you, you will need either a fixed IP or to relay off your ISP.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • How can I set it up to use a different server?
    Mail Security -> SMTP -> Advanced. At the bottom of the page, check "Use a smarthost" and enter your ISP's SMTP server in the box below it.  Don't forget to click Apply!
  • Thanks for all your help. Can I use the Yahoo smtp server since I am paying for Yahoo mail? also I tried to put my msn e mail as recipient and in the smtp log it still show my yahoo email as sent to address, even though I changed that.
  • Thanks for all your help. Can I use the Yahoo smtp server since I am paying for Yahoo mail?
    Not unless you get an IP address that's not on the Spamhaus PBL, or manage to convince Yahoo to create an exception for you (good luck with that!).

also I tried to put my msn e mail as recipient and in the smtp log it still show my yahoo email as sent to address, even though I changed that.
    The system won't keep using an old address just to spite you - if it hasn't changed, then you haven't changed it in the right place.  Either that or you forgot to hit Accept. [:)]