Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Netgear VLAN Switch config guide

This is not Astaro-specific, but seeing as the Netgear 'Smart' VLAN switches are good choices for home and small-office use, and as I and other Astaro users have found it rather confusing to configure, I'm posting it here.

I have a Netgear GS108T 8-port 'smart' switch, which supports VLANs and gigE. All of their 'smart' models are probably similar to configure.

Astaro stuff:
First, make sure your NIC in your firewall supports VLANs according to the Astaro HCL, or ask on these forums if you're unsure.

Setup the VLANs as New Interfaces (Ethernet VLAN) in Astaro.

Netgear specific stuff:

1. In the switch configuration, make sure you're using 802.1Q, not Port-Based VLANs on the VLAN Configuration page.

2. Make sure the firewall is the Trunk for ALL VLANs you're using.

3. Configure ALL 3 sections of the VLAN Configuration section:

a. create an ID and Name for each

b. On the VLAN Membership page, 
For each VLAN,
Untag (U) each port that is part of that VLAN
and
Trunk (T) the firewall port

4. On the Port PVID page, Set the PVID (VLAN ID) for each port.
This was confusing for me, as I thought it only applied to Port-based VLANs (wrong).

Notes on my config:

I have the firewall on port1, which I also have as VLAN1, but that VLAN is not actually used for anything (you can see it's Untagged for all ports). I did this more to keep from messing up VLAN1 (the default VLAN) in case I needed it for troubleshooting, and because it is unclear what to do with a Trunk.

VLAN 13 is my trusted LAN

VLAN 10 is my DMZ for my webserver.

VLAN 11 is my untrusted LAN for guests and WiFi. I have my WiFi AP plugged into this VLAN, and am using the AP as a switch for my printer, etc. as well as for wireless.

Reasons to use VLANs at home:

You can have an External connection, plus multiple LANs and/or DMZs with only 2 NICs in the firewall. 
It may even be possible to have only 1 NIC, although this would be slightly less secure as you're putting your switch on the internet.
For me, this allows me to go from a tower pc to a (very low power) mini-ITX system without spending an extra $100+ for a motherboard with an option for a 3-port 'daughterboard' or other expensive setup. 

Also, it allows me to get a fanless Atom system with 2 Intel gigE NICs as opposed to a VIA with Realtek NICs. 
(My Atom system is still in progress as the NICs won't work _at least_ until Astaro 7.402 is out, but I've ordered the hardware anyways.)

The 'smart' 8-port switch was only about $45 more than a base-model Netgear gigE switch, cheaper than extra NICs would have been, and I wanted to upgrade to gigE anyways.

Pics of my Netgear config attached.

Barry

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Yes, you'll need to use a non-VLAN interface, such as EXT, to disable the internal interface and then re-create it as a VLAN interface.

Barry
  • Yes, you'll need to use a non-VLAN interface, such as EXT, to disable the internal interface and then re-create it as a VLAN interface.

Barry

Hello Barry,
    in the meantime I removed the Interface and added two VLAN Interfaces (for testing purpose):

ASG with 3 nics (at the moment only for testing)

internal eth2 [10.2.11.2/8]  connected to a pc1
    wan eth0 [192.168.2.2/24]  connected to a dsl router

default on eth1 (VLAN 1) [172.16.1.1/16] ID 1
    trusted on eth1 (VLAN 2) [172.16.2.1/16] ID 2

All nics are level one GNC-0105T 1Gbit with the RTL8169SC chip on it (802.1Q VLAN support).

The 8-port switch config is (port 8 is a mirror of port 1):
    VLAN  Name Ports 1,...,8
    1 default (ASG) U,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,-
    2 trusted T,U,U,U,U,E,E,-

Port 1 of the switch is connected to eth1 of ASG,
    Port 2 is connected to a test pc2.

I added a packet filter rule from internal to any service any for testing pupose.
    But I can't ping from pc1 (10.2.11.3) to pc2 (172.16.2.2).
    Also I can't ping the switch on ip 172.16.1.2

Can you help me?
  • default on eth1 (VLAN 1) [172.16.1.1/16] ID 1

shouldn't those be /24 not /16 ?

Barry
  • default on eth1 (VLAN 1) [172.16.1.1/16] ID 1

shouldn't those be /24 not /16 ?

Barry

Yes, you are right it must be 24.
  • Now it's working, thanks for the hint. There are two problems that I still have:
    1) imap from a vlan client isn't working even I added a packet rule filter.
    2) login to the switch is possible from port 1 (the default port, where the ASG is connected) even I set in the switch configuration the management port to port 2 (where a single computer is connected).
  • Hi, 
    1) do you have Masquerading setup for each VLAN?

2) I'm not sure if the Netgear allows locking down the switch admin by port.

Barry
  • Hi, 
    1) do you have Masquerading setup for each VLAN?

2) I'm not sure if the Netgear allows locking down the switch admin by port.

Barry

Hello Barry,

1) yes I enabled masq for the VLAN Group (I have made a group), but I did forget to add one of the VLAN's to the VLAN Group, so now it works.
    2) I am using a HP ProCure 8010G-8 Switch, that can be configured to use a specific port and vlan, but it doesn't seem to work as it should, I will contact HP for this.

I have got another question (because I want to get rid of my power consuming old system):
    I saw that you are using an atom based minitx system, what is about the atom's CPU usage (for my system the maximum is only 21%, the average is 8.5%). Could you tell me yours please?

Thanks for your help,
    Andreas.
  • Hi, my CPU utilization is 3.7% daily average with constant 1-2mpbs of p2p uploads.

When I have p2p downloads going full-bore, the cpu graph hits about 12-14% while downloading at 7-10mbps.

FYI, My CPU is an Atom 270 (single core), and I'm running the IPS, but no A/V, anti-spam, or http content filtering features.

Based on published MIPS numbers, etc., I estimate an Atom core with modern RAM to be about twice as fast as a fast PIII.
    If you're hitting 21% on a dual PIII, you'd probably be about the same on a single-core Atom, and less on a dual-core Atom.

Barry
  • Hi, my CPU utilization is 3.7% daily average with constant 1-2mpbs of p2p uploads.

When I have p2p downloads going full-bore, the cpu graph hits about 12-14% while downloading at 7-10mbps.

FYI, My CPU is an Atom 270 (single core), and I'm running the IPS, but no A/V, anti-spam, or http content filtering features.

Based on published MIPS numbers, etc., I estimate an Atom core with modern RAM to be about twice as fast as a fast PIII.
    If you're hitting 21% on a dual PIII, you'd probably be about the same on a single-core Atom, and less on a dual-core Atom.

Barry

Hello Barry,
    I have all enabled, IPS, WebProxy, FTP-Proxy, all with Antivirus 2 pass enabled and also anti-spam and http content filtering enabled.
    Should this be too much for an Atom System?

I have also another question:
    I have VLAN on one network card enabled and set the MTU to 7200 (it's a network card with RTL 8169SC chipset). But I only can send ping packets with 1472 bytes size without defragmentation. I looked into the ASG's Support/Advanced/Interface Tables page,
    and I found the network card listed with MTU 1500 but I set it to 7200 on the Interfaces configuration page.
    Is this a bug?

Thanks,
    Andreas.
  • Hi, a dual-core Atom will probably be better than your dual-PIII. There's lots of discussion of Atoms in these forums, e.g. https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/27172

If noise isn't an issue, you might want to look at one of these
    which would be far more upgradeable.

I'm not sure about the MTUs... you might want to open another thread.

Barry