This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Network connection fails on dual boot machine after closing windows and starting linux (openSUSE Leap 15.4)

I have recently moved a workstation to a different room and it has a copper connection to a small L2/3 switch.  The computer is an HP Z640 and all good but I have found that if it has been running windows and is then re-started and booted to Leap 15.4 there is no network connection.  The only way I have found to get a network connection is to unplug the power cord and boot again.  Re-booting in either system is fine and going from Leap 15.4 to windows is fine but going from windows to Leap 15.4 fails every time.

The wan connection router is connected directly to the UTM (SG135) and the subnet interface I am using in this case is defined, including DNS and DHCP.  This route then connects to a switch where it is tagged as a vlan from which it is trunk connected to one or two switches downstream until it end in an access port on my subnet in the new location.  

Since the route connects and works correctly in most cases and only fails if I have restarted from windows to linux there must be something different in the way the connection is made from the computer.  Possibly an arp cache being retained somewhere from windows when it should not be or some tool that windows uses which forces a connection.

I have concentrated my checking on the computer because this is where the problem appears to sit but I am asking the question here just in case there is something set up within the UTM which presumes the windows connection and does not see the linux connection packet.

Grateful if anybody can help please.

Regards,

Budgie2

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi all,

After help from some friends I have found there is a bug in the windows OS working with my Intel I218-LM on board NIC  which does not play kindly with my system when dual booting.  I have found a work around so no need for strenuous work with the logs on this.  Will close this thread.

• What's the work around?

• Probably this fix.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• Somehow the PXE config on the nic gets messed up?  This fixes?

www.intel.com/.../manageability-products.html

• Hi Amodin,

Many thanks for this and good to see your name again.  Hope you are well.

Will look at the link you posted. 

Regards,

Budge

• I have now checked out the suggested fix which seems to reset the NIC but does not, as far as I can tell include a permanent driver fix.  The problem may in fact be caused by windows and there are other threads about this problem.  My understanding of the fix mentioned above is that it is a one off.  My problem is that I am dual booting with default to openSUSE and occasional use when needed by selecting windows from the grub boot screen. 

My all means Jay Jay try the fix above but if it doesn't meet your needs you might wish to look at another fix which has been provided here:-

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1939565#p1939565.

I was able to get this to work on my system with a small change for the path to lspc which on my system is at /sbin.  This means that the reset is transparent to me; when I boot to linux the internet connection comes back up, so far, every time.  This has meant I do not need to use another port or usb device and can switch between boots without any issues or need to unplug my workstation.

Hope this helps.

• o/ Budgie2. 

I wouldn't expect any fixes for this at least on the Linux portion side of things, especially with UTM involvement, as we know now EoL is in three years. Intel also seems to be really, really slow on any driver updates, NIC drivers especially more-so for Linux.  I don't know why, but it's been nature of the beast with them.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• Hi Amodin and thanks for the reply.  Sorry to learn of the EoL for UTM.  Will have to think seriously about replacement as cash flow here is very tough in hospitality for us here in the Highland.   I hope you appreciated the fix, it is working brilliantly.

While here I wanted to ask about my other recent post concerning setting a route through some intermediate L2 switches.  Please check it out when you have time.

Regards,

Budge.