This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Troubleshooting outages

Problem: Intermittent Internet outages occurring.  Network topology attached.

Indicators: Loss of DNS at endpoints, up2date package and DHCP client errors on UTM, Eero wireless mesh nodes offline.

Isolation steps so far:

1. I was exploring the possibility that the Eero mesh was the root cause of the problem and had replaced managed switches within the mesh network with unmanaged switches. Eero provided input stating upstream pings from the Eero devices to external servers were not working around the time of outages.
  2. UTM logs showed ping failures from Eero to UTM being dropped during outage time frames (ICMP works during normal operation).
  3. UTM logs not showing evidence of egress pings from Eeros.  I ran long-term tcpdump from UTM ssh and saw ICMP from the Eeros to Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) go out but no returns (returns work during normal operation).
  4. Reviewed logs on CM1200 cable modem and did find outage indications.

My isolation steps have revealed symptoms related to the outages which I now believe are caused by the UTM.  I am at a loss on how to isolate and fix the root cause.  I hope some ideas can surface via replies to this post.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
No Data