This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

eth interface is up but link is down

I have usb-ethernet adapter which is detected in sophos utm9 correctly but there is no connection with it. Dashboard show for eth1 "up"  but "link" is down in red all the time.

What is strange the same utm9 with the same adapter is working fine but on 32bit version, so something is wrong on 64bit version - but what (realtek driver?) and how to fix it up ? Any ideas?

#ethtool eth1

Settings for eth1:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                              100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 32
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Link detected: no

#ifconfig eth1

eth1   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:E0:4C:38:05:BF
          inet addr:192.168.10.98  Bcast:192.168.10.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

# ethtool -i eth1
driver: r8152
version: v1.01.0 (2013/08/12)
firmware-version:
bus-info: usb-0000:00:13.2-1
supports-statistics: no
supports-test: no
supports-eeprom-access: no
supports-register-dump: no
supports-priv-flags: no

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
  • Thx for reply but recommended guide #7 is not helpfull at all, especially with sentence "If you have a Realtek, Marvel or 3Com NIC, you should replace the NIC with an Intel ". I tried unplug/plug into another usb slots, unload/load realtek driver again (modprobe), delete/create interface once again at sophos webadmin, restart machine - to no avail.

I know this adapter is working ok on 32bit wersion of the same UTM9 iso, but i have now 4gb ram so i would prefer to use 64bit. If it works on 32 bit so in my opinion responsibility for this situation lie in kernel or driver module, but Im not expert in linux - it would be nice to get some advices what to do now.  Also i gave next try with XG UTM but sophos installer always disconnect usb keyboard at the beginning (tried on two machines - the same effect) and cant install it.

Reagarding to adapter - i dont know what exactly it is. There is no brand on it - just usb 2.0 adapter which is compatible with linux.

#lsusb

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0bda:8152 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Windows identity it as Realtek USB FE Family Controller (rtux64w10.sys driver)

• Thanks for the clarification and for providing more details.

This now seems to be with UTM's ability to read the USB adapter. Would you specify which Sophos hardware you're using?

I just checked for the RTL8152 and realized it is very old hardware and supports 10/100M Fast Ethernet on USB 2.0 ports. It looks more of the driver issue now and I searched if there are drivers available for it, I could only come up with this link: https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-usb-3-0-software and https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=193238.

Regards

Jaydeep

• Cześć Mat and welcome to the UTM Community!

The recommendation to avoid Realteks in #7 doesn't come from personal experience, Mat, but from the combined experience of folks here over the last 12+ years.

7.7 makes a recommendation that you might try.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA