This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sync NIC name is stale?

So I had an old core i3 micro-atx mobo as my UTM9 gateway.  Added a 2-port intel gb nic, giving me 3.  Set up a (temporary) virtualized UTM9 slave node in active/passive mode.  The single builtin NIC was a (crappy) realtek.  I just finished replacing the i3 mobo with a sandy bridge xeon micro atx mobo (2 intel gb links, plus moving the 2-port card over.)  I then replaced the virtualized slave with a qotom compact celeron appliance (4 intel gb nics).  So at this point, there are no realtek nics in either system. Yet, if I look at the HA Configuration screen, it shows for 'SYNC NIC' 'Realtek Semiconductor blah blah blah'.  I assume this is some harmless detritus from the previous configuration?  My migration sequence:

1. Shut down virtual slave and do 'Remove Node'.

2. Install minimal config on new QOTOM, and add it to HA cluster.

3. Shut down master (with crappy realtek NIC), and do 'Remove Node'.

4. Swap i3 mobo with sandy bridge mobo, install minimal config and add it to HA cluster.

5. Since master is marked as preferred, wait for the failover and syncing to complete.

At this point, the config still shows the Realtek sync nic.

Even if this is harmless, I'd love to get rid of it, but the only thing I can think of is to shutdown QOTOM slave and 'Remove Node', then switch HA configuration off.  Switch it back on, selecting the real intel NIC as the sync nic, and re-add the QOTOM as the default slave.  Awful lot of hassle, so I'd rather not...

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I don't understand what you're asking.

• Okay, more info.  This has nothing (directly) to do with HA.  If I go to the Interfaces page, and click on Hardware, it is showing me the old Realtek NIC, and NOT the 2 new Intel NICs.  Is there some way to fix this short of a complete reinstall?

• It seems like this sticks with the HA config, so I could add&remove all day long with no change.  I finally took a backup, and ate a brief outage.  Had to reinstall, then load the backup, and *then* and only then re-add the slave node.  All good now :)

• That was just our regular spammer from Pakistan, Daniel.  His post will disappear in a few minutes as will his account.

When you install UTM, only the drivers for the devices present will be installed.  UTM OS is not plug-n-play.  You should be able to do the re-install on the one node and then let it join HA.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hmmm, dunno what went wrong then.  I'm pretty sure I tried to delete node X (that had previously had the realtek) and add it back, but voila, the realtek came back.  I think when I changed master nodes (so the small appliance was the new master), the config copied over there, and *it* said realtek too.  A mystery...

• That last post confuses me - deleting the node doesn't change the driver installed on the hardware.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Sorry for being unclear.  After much experimentation, what I was seeing: I had shut down, moved the SSD to a new mobo and plugged in a 2-port intel nic.  Forget HA, that was a red herring (I think).  If I went to Interfaces & Routing => Interfaces => Hardware, it was showing the original 3 NIC - the 2 intel ports (I  had moved the 2-port from the old mobo to the new one) and the realtek.  It even showed me the MAC address and everything else for an ethernet port that wasn't there.  It worked because the 3rd port on the new firewall happened to also be called 'eth2', which is what it was on the original configuration.  So, the hardware shown on that Hardware page was completely stale BS.  Part of this at least is my fault, because the 2 hosts are NOT the same (which I realized is not recommended.)  So when I switched the backup node to master, and removed the original master, then re-installed on it, then logged in to temporary IP, then added it to the HA cluster, the new master (which used to be the slave) was showing the same 3 ethernet ports, including the non-existent realtek NIC.  I tried this several times, and it never went away.  The only way I was finally able to do that, was to delete the HA cluster, which nukes the slave (the compact appliance.)  I then did a reinstall on the intended master, restored the cfg file from a backup, and lo and behold, saw 4 intel ethernet ports.  At that point, I powered up the intended slave, added him to the cluster, waited for sync, and all was good.  As I say, I'm only guessing as to what is going on, but it's hard to believe it was a coincidence...

• Sorry for being unclear.  After much experimentation, what I was seeing: I had shut down, moved the SSD to a new mobo and plugged in a 2-port intel nic.  Forget HA, that was a red herring (I think).  If I went to Interfaces & Routing => Interfaces => Hardware, it was showing the original 3 NIC - the 2 intel ports (I  had moved the 2-port from the old mobo to the new one) and the realtek.  It even showed me the MAC address and everything else for an ethernet port that wasn't there.  It worked because the 3rd port on the new firewall happened to also be called 'eth2', which is what it was on the original configuration.  So, the hardware shown on that Hardware page was completely stale BS.  Part of this at least is my fault, because the 2 hosts are NOT the same (which I realized is not recommended.)  So when I switched the backup node to master, and removed the original master, then re-installed on it, then logged in to temporary IP, then added it to the HA cluster, the new master (which used to be the slave) was showing the same 3 ethernet ports, including the non-existent realtek NIC.  I tried this several times, and it never went away.  The only way I was finally able to do that, was to delete the HA cluster, which nukes the slave (the compact appliance.)  I then did a reinstall on the intended master, restored the cfg file from a backup, and lo and behold, saw 4 intel ethernet ports.  At that point, I powered up the intended slave, added him to the cluster, waited for sync, and all was good.  As I say, I'm only guessing as to what is going on, but it's hard to believe it was a coincidence...

Children
No Data