This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Clarifying Questions on "DNS Best Practices"

There are two items on the list that I'm unclear about. First:

• In 'Request Routing', the internal DNS is used for reverse DNS of internal IPs (for example if your internal subnet is 172.16.20.0/24, you would have "20.16.172.in-addr.arpa" in the 'Domain' field and your internal DNS server(s) in 'Target Servers'. With that, the UTM can list machine names instead of internal IP addresses in the reports.

I have the Domain set properly, but I don't have any internal DNS servers other than the Sophos router itself. Do I just leave "Target Servers" blank? So I put the Sophos server itself in there?

Second:

• Also, in 'Request Routing', so the UTM can resolve internal FQDNs, add, for example 'yourdomain.loc -> {internal DNS server}'. Do the same for other domains for which you have Forward Lookup Zones in your internal DNS server.

In this case, I just have .local as my local domain, so my setup is Domain = local and Target Servers = <sophos UTM>. Is that correct?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children