This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Chromecast Issues (yes I have read all the other threads) please help!

Hi everyone,

I know there are threads addressing Chromecast issues, but I have tried all of the suggestions in those threads and can't seem to get mine working with the UTM. My HP printer, cell phone, and Mac Book all pick up wifi just fine, but Chromecast gives me a few different errors like: "Chromecast is connected to Wifi, but not to the internet," and sometimes it won't even connect to the wifi based on what kind of settings I am messing around with. Here are my specs:

TP-Link TC-7610 DOCSIS 3.0 (8x4) Cable Modem

into 

Linux box that my brother built (don't know much about it) running Sophos UTM 9.509-3.1 (I think)

into 

TP-Link 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch (unmanaged dumb switch)

into 

TP-Link Archer AC1750 Smart WiFi Router - Dual Band Gigabit, Qualcomm Inside (C7) (routing turned off because Linux box with UTM is doing the routing) 

I have both versions of Chromecast (2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz) running on two separate TVs (for purposes of this thread I will just focus on the 2.4 chromecast) and I have my wifi access point settings at:

2.4 - Mode: 802.11b/g/n mixed, Channel Width: 40MHz, Channel: auto

5.0 - Mode: 802.11a/n/ac mixed, Channel Width: 40MHz, Channel: auto

-Internal LAN 192.168.2.0/24 (set by wizard)

-Internal LAN (Address) 192.168.2.100 (I left this in place for eth0 on the UTM upon original setup and it was set by the wizard)

-Internal LAN (Broadcast) 192.168.2.255
Broadcast address of interface "Internal LAN" (set by wizard)

-Internal LAN (Network) 192.168.2.0/24 (set by wizard)
Attached network of interface "Internal LAN"

-2.4 GHz "Chromecast Living Room 1" - 192.168.2.20. I have tried defining this manually by following another user's advice from a similar thread: 

1. Created a DHCP reservation for the Chromecast (I have defined this on my iphone by going into WiFi>Chromecast device>IPV4 Address>Configure IP manually. I give it 192.168.2.20 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and set router to my UTM (192.168.2.100). If I don't define this manually on my iPhone it gives me an automatic DHCP address of 192.168.255.250 and Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.248 which isn't in the range of my LAN).

2. Create a Host Object in UTM with the Chromecast IP address (192.168.2.20)  (Definition & User > Network Definition > New Network Definition - name it Chromecast, select host and add IP address and Save). Under DHCP settings am I supposed to check "DHCP IPV4 (192.168.2.1-192.168.2.254)" or leave it unchecked?  

3. Create a new exception list, Call it something like Device Whitelist (Web Protection > Filter Option > Exception Tab, Create New Exception List)

Skip these checks: 
Authentication 
Caching 
Block by download size 
Antivirus*
Extension blocking 
MIME type blocking  
URL Filter 
Content Removal 
SSL scanning 
Certificate Trust Check 
Certificate Date Check 
Accessed pages 
Blocked pages  
Do not display Download/Scan progress page 

For All Requests coming from this network
add the Chromecast Host object created in step 2

-I have also tried defining my Chromecast by going to Network Services>DHCP>Static Mappings>IPV4 Lease Tables. Here I notice that 192.168.2.6 has been handed out to my Chromecast 2.4GHz even after I try to manually define it as 192.168.2.20. So then I go back and delete my manually created chromecast (192.168.2.20) and try to replace it with the 192.168.2.6 by clicking on "Make Static." It gives me this box: what do I fill in here?

-My ISP (Cox) is handing out DHCP for my WAN address and I have also set Sophos UTM acting as DHCP and DNS server for my internal LAN. 

-I have geoblocking for every country except the US, England, and Ireland. 

-Only FW rule I have is Internal LAN (Network) out to any IP using any services.

-DNS has Internal LAN (Network) placed in allowed networks box.

------------------

Back to my WIFI manager:

Under LAN settings it gives this automatically after I turn off routing function:

Should I have picked "Static IP" from the drop-down where it says "Smart IP (DHCP)"?

Under DHCP settings it was set to auto right when I went to the page

I have tried turning it to off and nothing changes with respect to my chromecast working. Should this be on auto? I think it gets set to this when you turn off routing capabilities. When it is on auto all those fields are "grey'd out" so I don't think they even apply. If they did, then my UTM wouldn't have been able to hand out an ip of 192.168.2.6 to my chromecast right? Seems a .6 is out of the range of .100-.199? Also when I have turned this setting to "on" my whole system seems to stop working. You would think you don't want your WAP handing out DHCP if the UTM is already doing this? I am so confused here. 

Anyway, I think this is all the detail I can give at this moment. I really appreciate anyone who can help me out with this. I am brand new to creating my own home network so anything helps. Thank you

-Danny

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Danny and welcome to the UTM Community!

Check the Web Filtering log file and do #1 in Rulz.  See anything related to this?

Rather than use an Exception, I would skip the Web Filtering proxy for traffic to and from your Chromecasts.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Danny and welcome to the UTM Community!

Check the Web Filtering log file and do #1 in Rulz.  See anything related to this?

Rather than use an Exception, I would skip the Web Filtering proxy for traffic to and from your Chromecasts.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data